Flustered

Status
Not open for further replies.

moseshek

Mar 7, 2009
Clementi!
Hi all,

This is my first post here, any C&C is welcomed :)

Below is a candid shot of a fren of mine, and i would like to have some feedback on the composition.
i've chosen to employ the one third rule for the subject's face, in order to capture her facial gesture in portraying her emotions.
Should i have cropped out the glass instead since it may be a tad distracting?

I would also like to have some feedback on the post processing of the picture. i've chosen to convert it to B&W to have a better contrast and also because the background is a bit distracting.. personally i also think it brings out more emotion when compared to the colored one.

Concerning the title, i wanted to portray the emotion of a bubbly girl who was flustered and gleefully sip her drink after receiving a complement of some sort.

IMG_4450.jpg

other touch up includes:
-high pass overlay 20% opacity
-curves adjustment

below is the cam specs taken:
Canon 400D 50mm f/1.8 ISO100 1/30s

Last edited:
One week no viewer,

Is this a difficult shot to duplicate/take ?

I believed, I'd seen many such an expression in our local food court, coffeeshop or hawker centre.

Seems like it is unnecessary to do those high pass thing, as the result does not bring out the value of the picture.

firstly,i don't see how is she flusted,and details are lost in the highlights and eyes seem to be oof

Now got more people viewing.

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. actually still quite new to photography just thought that the high key black and white very attractive so i decided to use it as post process for this pic.

are there any things to take note of when i want to convert to BnW? lighting etc?

IMHO, general portraits require the eyes to be in focus. In this case, I find it oof...
And the BnW tones is not widely spread as pointed out by cy_j... maybe you can rely on the histogram (not too left/right) next time to get a better BnW image.
Composition wise, I would prefer to move the view towards left, revealing her right elbow to form a diagonal line from bottom left. In this case, her face would better follow the one third rule horizontally.

Status
Not open for further replies.