Flush mount album making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goblingoblin

May 3, 2009
Hi im photography hobbyist, Im interested to know more about the process of making a flush mount album. I did my homework but bumped into dead ends. I found out that I will need
machines to help me in the process like binding machine, gluing and etc. any insight or advice please?

Warmest Regards:)
Gob.

not sure what's flush mount album... any samples so we can see if anyone knows?

You're trying to DIY a photo album for yourself?

Are you talking about perfect binding?

What is the weight of the stock you are using?
Page dimensions?
What are you using for cover stock?
How many sheets do you have in total?

If your album or paper stock adds up to substantial thickness, I'd suggest breaking it down into multiple signatures, sewing, then gluing. That will make for a better reading/browsing experience - quite important if you have spreads.

http://www.guerrilla-press.com/bookbinding/index.htm

you like to know how to or you what to diy flush mount album?, these need alot of skills on traditional book binding, you also need glue machine, paper tramming machine, raw materials etc, you need to invest a lot of time and money to make presentable albums, perhaps it only will come after you have experience of making 10 to 20 albums.

anyway, there are album makers to make flush mount albums for you, some even offer album design for you..

like glory workz, album stories etc.... usually the photographers just concentrate on the getting the photos or designing part will do.

not sure what's flush mount album... any samples so we can see if anyone knows?

the other names . would be magazine style album . or coffee tablletop i guess :D

You're trying to DIY a photo album for yourself?

Are you talking about perfect binding?

What is the weight of the stock you are using?
Page dimensions?
What are you using for cover stock?
How many sheets do you have in total?

If your album or paper stock adds up to substantial thickness, I'd suggest breaking it down into multiple signatures, sewing, then gluing. That will make for a better reading/browsing experience - quite important if you have spreads.

http://www.guerrilla-press.com/bookbinding/index.htm

Hmm Im quite new to this album thingy so please pardon my moronic questions :sweat:
Right now Im trying to DIY a 8R (20x25cm) flush mount album with 10 pages and already
bumped into a few dead ends .

my concept is "to glue the prints on cardboard . back to back . and bind them up to make a book" well it should (or at least it seems) to be simple until I was stuck
at the gluing part and the binding part . how do we bind all the glued pages to the cover??
because what is special from a flush mount album is that the pages will open flat and show
the large prints with minimum distortion at the in between of the pages.

you like to know how to or you what to diy flush mount album?, these need alot of skills on traditional book binding, you also need glue machine, paper tramming machine, raw materials etc, you need to invest a lot of time and money to make presentable albums, perhaps it only will come after you have experience of making 10 to 20 albums.

anyway, there are album makers to make flush mount albums for you, some even offer album design for you..

like glory workz, album stories etc.... usually the photographers just concentrate on the getting the photos or designing part will do.

Im trying to diy one ^^
I found a few "conceptual" solution for the gluing part .
which is to use either double sided tape . or 3M adhesive spray (ace hardware stores) .
personally I wont take my chance with the double sided tapes . so 3M spray is good .
For raw material I think I will need the cover and the cardboard . no problem with the cardboard because it is plenty out there . now the cover . I dont mind using normal
acrylic or simply leather or lacquered wood for the cover :)

Hmmm for gloryworkz I think I can get better price and better (or same) quality somewhere else ba . If I want to buy one it would be easy :D wont have to go thru the troubles but Im trying to DIY one here hehehe kinda like the challenge but am trapped now :dunno: any help with the binding please?

*Print outs would be glued to card boards back to back . but how do we bind the glued print outs to the cover and still have them open flat .

Consumers called it “wedding album”, trade professionals called it “flush-mounted album”. It’s photo prints "flush" over 2-page spread and "mounted" on a 1~2mm board. Typically used for Pre-wedding and displayed at wedding dinners’ reception, contents of 20 pages is fairly bulky, 30 pages would weigh a ton. The trendy term now is “coffee table album” (kinda misleading), some even called it "magazine style" album.

It's very true on the skills needed, but you can do without any machine. You need to layout on 2-page spread, e.g 12” X 12” will output 12” X 24” photo prints. Need to have PVC laminate as it can be dirtied and you need to “rub-off the air” (use a moisted cloth). Hand-score or crease a centerline on 12” and fold, it’s also called a “butterfly fold”. Use 3M spray-mount instead of wet glue, it'll be less messy. Your challenge would also be the trimmings on 3 sides for a smooth finishing, as only a guillotine would do. :confused:

It’s fun if you have the patience; it’s can be frustrating with lots of "Oops!" and "Arrrrrrh". :sweat: There’s some savings with DIY but very minimal. It’ll cost $235 for 20 pages for a 12X12 at just1book. How much will it cost you for the prints and material? It can take a whole weekend, aching knees and a mess if you are inexperience. :think:

Consumers called it “wedding album”, trade professionals called it “flush-mounted album”. It’s photo prints "flush" over 2-page spread and "mounted" on a 1~2mm board. Typically used for Pre-wedding and displayed at wedding dinners’ reception, contents of 20 pages is fairly bulky, 30 pages would weigh a ton. The trendy term now is “coffee table album” (kinda misleading), some even called it "magazine style" album.

It's very true on the skills needed, but you can do without any machine. You need to layout on 2-page spread, e.g 12” X 12” will output 12” X 24” photo prints. Need to have PVC laminate as it can be dirtied and you need to “rub-off the air” (use a moisted cloth). Hand-score or crease a centerline on 12” and fold, it’s also called a “butterfly fold”. Use 3M spray-mount instead of wet glue, it'll be less messy. Your challenge would also be the trimmings on 3 sides for a smooth finishing, as only a guillotine would do. :confused:

It’s fun if you have the patience; it’s can be frustrating with lots of "Oops!" and "Arrrrrrh". :sweat: There’s some savings with DIY but very minimal. It’ll cost $235 for 20 pages for a 12X12 at just1book. How much will it cost you for the prints and material? It can take a whole weekend, aching knees and a mess if you are inexperience. :think:
oh dear, how can I forgot about the man from this industry!!!!:embrass: so sorry. :sweat:

*Print outs would be glued to card boards back to back . but how do we bind the glued print outs to the cover and still have them open flat .

When you are done with the glueing, it's called a "book-block", leave the front and back as "end-paper" to glue onto the cover".

Thank you so much for the insight ^_^
reading your post now I understand more about it .
Now I have a new problem with the butterfly bind :)
It supposed to have a piece of cloth at the spine of the "book-block" . right ?
and the spine is not supposed to be glued to the cover tio bo brother winson ?

Thank you so much for the insight ^_^
reading your post now I understand more about it .
Now I have a new problem with the butterfly bind :)
It supposed to have a piece of cloth at the spine of the "book-block" . right ?
and the spine is not supposed to be glued to the cover tio bo brother winson ?

Cloth??? No cloth for flush-mount and butterfly bind, only head and tail band for coffee table books. It's for decorative purpose and serve no purpose in bounding.
No join or glue to spine or you'll have a problem to open flat. The album needs "space to breath". The only "join" is the pasting of both the end paper/sheet to the cover or whatever material you are using. Come down to the showroom to have a look, it's difficult to imagine or visualise with our different terminologies. :think:

Cloth??? No cloth for flush-mount and butterfly bind, only head and tail band for coffee table books. It's for decorative purpose and serve no purpose in bounding.
No join or glue to spine or you'll have a problem to open flat. The album needs "space to breath". The only "join" is the pasting of both the end paper/sheet to the cover or whatever material you are using. Come down to the showroom to have a look, it's difficult to imagine or visualise with our different terminologies. :think:

you have a showroom ? canI go down ? :D

Any idea how to make a nice center crease?
It's supposed to be beautiful with protruding center and
2 visible lines running from top to bottom . any help on this winson ? anyone ? :)

bump .

IF I really need to invest in the machines :( what kind of machine would I need ?
thinking of comparing the prices now and see if DIY is really cheaper than other method :)

Just1Book Showroom/Retail
Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station
11 Orchard Road,
B1-48, DhobyX
Singapore 238826
Tel: 6746 8765
sales@just1book.com.sg

Bro, tank-kill beri much. :thumbsup:

Any idea how to make a nice center crease?
It's supposed to be beautiful with protruding center and
2 visible lines running from top to bottom . any help on this winson ? anyone ? :)

IF I really need to invest in the machines :( what kind of machine would I need ?
thinking of comparing the prices now and see if DIY is really cheaper than other method

Goblin, the crude look and feel is the hallmark of DIY. It's cheaper, it's the fun with your hands. Without industrial equipment, pure handwork and sweat. You can claim bragging rights at the end of the ordeal. :bsmilie:

If it's just the centreline creasing, just get a couple of steel rulers and score a line on the back of the prints, not too deep pls.

For every form and function, you go buy a piece of equipment, you'll end up with a room full of equipment to do a job. A cheap set from China is about $10K, $100K for a decent industrial usage. How many albums do you intend to do a year? Don't buy a cow just because you need to drink milk. :think:

my friend told me is USD$2.6 k for the flush mount machine maker and exclude printer. he said all round about 6k. unless he buy told home used printer, then will save alot cost.

that why i some time send my photos to my friend for printing in China.

Last edited:
my friend told me is USD$2.6 k for the flush mount machine maker and exclude printer. he said all round about 6k. unless he buy told home used printer, then will save alot cost.

that why i some time send my photos to my friend for printing in China.

interesting....
:eek:

no pun intended. maybe u would like to share why are u doing it in china.

is it the cost issue, or the quality issue.

i know this is not time issue as i understand that the lead time required there and what is required in singapore is significantly different. assuming there are freight timing involved ?

Last edited:
i went to wedding studio. some there said print in Taiwan, Malaysia or China. I never heard SG.
I send to there because support him only.
cheaper too. Factory made printing and blinding.

i went to wedding studio. some there said print in Taiwan, Malaysia or China. I never heard SG.
I send to there because support him only.
cheaper too. Factory made printing and blinding.

sorry OT a bit...

could you provide his contacts? any website? tks!

Status
Not open for further replies.