Fluorescent macro ring light -- is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Has any of you used those much cheaper 3rd party macro ring flash that actually emits continuous fluorescent light, instead of being a real flash? It's like a torch that shines continuously on your object or insect. Ingenious design on first look but I'm not sure how good it is....

I have some questions. Hope you could kindly help! Tnx...

1. How is the color temperature of the image shot with the ring light? Do you have problems with the white balance since it's of fluorescent lighting?

2. How is the lighting? Does it light well or is it harsh with shadows?

Thanks for any advice/comments. :)

Has any of you used those much cheaper 3rd party macro ring flash that actually emits continuous fluorescent light, instead of being a real flash? It's like a torch that shines continuously on your object or insect. Ingenious design on first look but I'm not sure how good it is....

1. How is the color temperature of the image shot with the ring light? Do you have problems with the white balance since it's of fluorescent lighting?

instead of fluorescent, i think nowadays already using LED, cheaper production and battery consumption is lower. And won't shatter when dropped.

I've seen someone using one of these with his Sony F717( or something that looks like it). No idea how the result is like, but it looked really short ranged; probably good for around the 55mm range. Which 3rd party one have you heard of? I'd like to try one out.

Colour temperature can be corrected by WB, especially when tri-colour tubes are available nowadays, but another problem is that it may not be bright enough but since it's for close range, it might be ok for static objects, otherwise if you're shooting something which is moving, eg insect, the shutter speed required may not be sufficient to freeze the motion.

I've seen someone using one of these with his Sony F717( or something that looks like it). No idea how the result is like, but it looked really short ranged; probably good for around the 55mm range. Which 3rd party one have you heard of? I'd like to try one out.

macro, how far u want? :bsmilie:

think last year it fair of something, i bought 1 flash type 3rd party cheap kind, then they have another version with LEDs...

sony also have a LED ring flash for prosumer series.

macro, how far u want? :bsmilie:

1.5m away? ;p
spiderant001s.jpg

Hope I'm not asking too much.. Anyone got sample images to share here taken with the 3rd party ring flash? (Actually shouldn't call it a flash since strictly speaking, it's just some kind of ring "torchlight"!)

Sausage: I don't know any 3rd party brands but saw someone testing one out in the camera shop... If good can consider buying. Cos the "real" Canon macro ring flash is so damn ex.. only worth it for serious macro users me thinks...

Isisaxon: Unique side view of spider! But can't see much flash used there leh...

I am testing McGill's 3rd party ring light. All I can say is that its good for AF assist when you get nearer to subject. The picture quality after F13 is too dark and flash is necessary. :)

Hope this helps.

Isisaxon: Unique side view of spider! But can't see much flash used there leh...

That was shot using ambient light, but just wanted to show how far I shot the spider from. Ringlights using LEDs or fluorescent tubes will not be useful at all if I'm 1.5m away. ;p

I still think it might be better to invest in a proper ring flash.

wah....like this also can...nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.