Flowers + Wind = Macro Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picard

May 27, 2004
Clementi, Singapore
I'm into Macro photography. No, not the bugs type but the flowers and fruit type.

I would like to consult Macro Gurus out there on how they overcome the issue of wind (no NOT the stomach type!:confused: ) when shooting flowers etc... Is waiting THE only way to go?:think:

Thanks.

Any Macro Guru care to offer advice?

Like...any props to get in such situation? Someone actually recommended a ring flash but since it costs a bomb (oops, sensitive word these days), are there any cheaper solution apart from waiting?

Hi there,

I am no expert because I dont even have a macro lens...and havent taken much macro shots. However, I have seen someone use her tripod legs to sort of hold the plants in place. Also, they have this clothes peg kind of thing which can hold the flower in place while u photograph them and the peg is connected to the tripod. But I think, what about placing urself to block the direction of the wind and lessen the impact. Macro flash should be cool!

tltan

tltan said:
Hi there,

I am no expert because I dont even have a macro lens...and havent taken much macro shots. However, I have seen someone use her tripod legs to sort of hold the plants in place. Also, they have this clothes peg kind of thing which can hold the flower in place while u photograph them and the peg is connected to the tripod. But I think, what about placing urself to block the direction of the wind and lessen the impact. Macro flash should be cool!

tltan

u must b refering 2 d Plamp by Wimberley.

sORe-EyEz said:
u must b refering 2 d Plamp by Wimberley.

Hi Sore-eyez, u are right, the name is something like that.:thumbsup:

Patience?

I remember reading an article on a local photographer who took the city scape with water (river) reflection.

He waited for 1 week for that moment with no (or minimum) wind where the water are still like mirror.

HeWolf said:
Patience?

I remember reading an article on a local photographer who took the city scape with water (river) reflection.

He waited for 1 week for that moment with no (or minimum) wind where the water are still like mirror.

not every1 so free arhx...:sticktong

get d biggest brolly u can find & block d wind??:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

actually, u think a piece of wire can do the same job? or those Bendable ruler (use during secondary school) stick one end with a clothes peg? Dont seem very common to use Plamp here in Singapore.

But anyway, of course the original products work best and can secure to the tripod as seen. Cool.

Cheers,
tltan

Thanks people,

I think I will pop by one day and see the product for myself. $75 seems high for a simple clamp but if it does the job well then...what price a perfect shot?

Then again...I was thinking, the clamp may hold the stem secure but the petals will still move so...May not achieve it's purpose. Maybe I should start a new thread entitled: " Effectiveness of the PLAMP" and see if anyone has used it.

If it's not effective then maybe like one CSer mentioned, a big GOLF umbrella, provided it does not compromise the available light.

Cheers

tltan said:
actually, u think a piece of wire can do the same job? or those Bendable ruler (use during secondary school) stick one end with a clothes peg? Dont seem very common to use Plamp here in Singapore.

But anyway, of course the original products work best and can secure to the tripod as seen. Cool.

Cheers,
tltan
Your method and the plamp work the same way, only that your method has a higher chance of destroying the flowers...

Get 2 reflectors to block the wind and reflect the light to the flower for better lighting exposure.

Astin said:
Your method and the plamp work the same way, only that your method has a higher chance of destroying the flowers...

Hi Astin,

You are right, will have greater chance of destroying flowers, cutting off their supply routes.:embrass: Thanks for the input.

Regards,
tltan

megaweb said:
Get 2 reflectors to block the wind and reflect the light to the flower for better lighting exposure.

not a cheap solution...:sweat:

eikin said:
1 hand hold camera, 1 hand hold the flower stem, done!

wah, free Plamp!! its my v own hands!!:cheergal: :cheergal:

Status
Not open for further replies.