Status
Not open for further replies.

chaotic

Feb 14, 2002
what do you think of these flowers?

red-flower_std.jpg

yellow-flower_std.jpg

1. Use a tripod
2. Many flowers are quite large. A macro lens is not essential.
3. Use aperture priority. f/11 to f/22 are common apertures. If photographing white flowers, seek advanced help beyond this guide.
4. You may need to manually focus. Beginners - focus on the most important part of the flower. Beyond beginners - focus 0.5-1.0cm in front of the most important part.
5. Make sure background is not distracting.
6. Make sure light is not too contrasty unless effect is deliberate.

The photograph of the 1st flower - see (6)

The photograph of the 2nd flower is much better but is a bit blur, due to either lack of (1) or (4) or maybe wind? The lighting is actually quite pleasing.

Please try again with the yellow flower? I'm trying to compile 'links to nice flower photos on clubsnap' :)

haha thanks for the comments.

I do really need a tripod but right now cannot afford one after getting the camera.. ;-) you are right about me being a beginner, this is my first two pictures of close-up flowers. I can't take them again because I took them while on a holiday to Florida but I will have more opportunities to take more flower pics and post them here.

the first pic was auto so everything was in focus.
the second pic was my first manual focus pic, it's rather hard to focus properly so close when the flower was so small, it's like 1cm big or something. I am using coolpix 995, so manually set the focal distance, how does any ever predict how far it is? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.