Flower that has no name

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermengwei2

Jan 16, 2008
Singapore
2764885274_64438a43a4.jpg

I found a flower in my garden that looked like it was waiting to be photographed. I recently read that macro photography is more effective when shot at the minimum aperture. So this was done at f/16 (not exactly minimum) and 6s.

I used a baking tray as a reflector for the natural light coming in from camera left and put a black cardboard behind the flower.

Let me know what you think!

that's pretty interesting, considering that you used a f/16 and a speed of 6seconds? I have never tried such a long exposure. From what I usually do and learn, using a f16 with flash will make the subject stand out from the background. And in most cases, the background will be black/darker as well. Just some thoughts... =D

I won't say macro photography is more effective at a small aperature, it's a matter of what you want to achieve. In this case it's a good choice as you want to see sharp details, but if you want to bring focus in a cluttered background a larger aperature will be more useful.

Lighting is well controlled, quite pleasing, though I feel that from this angle, the torch ginger flower doesn't look very attractive

I didn't use flash because the light coming in from the side window was really soft and diffused. 6s simply because its f16, just make sure the environment is totally still (in terms of wind) and the photo will be sharp. I did some other angles where i left out the stem but i prefer this because the stem gives the flower some definition. That being said, its not really the prettiest flower around.

Lovely. Maybe can give the flower a bit more space to "breathe" on the top, seem to be a bit too tight

and yes, watermark.....:eek:

beautiful flower. could afford to give the subject more space with the black background. oh and yes, remove the watermark, print it and frame it up in your room man!

Status
Not open for further replies.