Flower at my home

thrumylens

Nov 18, 2010
1. I like the comments in the area of Composition and exposure
2. I wanted to capture a flow of flowers like steps.
3. I felt like i am having a natural flowery staircase.
4 a sense of road to bliss.

5191674425_a246993918_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hi i'm no expert but am also interested in flower photography. :cool:

Personally I like the colours but find the background leaves to be a little too distracting. Perhaps a shallower depth of field to produce more background blurring will bring out the foreground flower more. :)

To me it seems a little under-exposed, the colours are not vibrant enough, there is a bluish green tint to me.

As for your flower stairs, perhaps you might want to wait for all of the flowers to start blooming. It took me a bit to understand what you were trying to achieve.

Care to share your equipment and settings? Then we can see whether the settings you used are optimised.

this is taken by a sony point and shoot camera....i was very much interested in macro...but this is the best i got....it was and evening setup so a little low light. Thank you all for those valuable comments. Planning to buy a DSLR this week

Not much of an expert in flower photography as well but may i suggest you bokeh the leaves and the pot in the background.

So what you should have is 1(or in this case 2) of the flowers in focus and the rest blur.
Something like this:
73837_1694267000596_1355451962_31815393_5878560_n.jpg

Tell me if you want this pic to be removed. =)

Besides that, check your WB and if you got do PP can boost your contrast a little bit to really bring out the purple of the flowers.
One more thing is that i can see the other flower buds growing vertically so maybe can try shoot in portrait?

P/S: All this is coming from a noob as well so don't come and scold me if it doesn't work for you. I also is trial and error one so i'm just giving you what i think should work. :embrass:

That was interesting. Thank you very much.

I am not sure about sony pns, but does it come with macro setting? Maybe you can try to shift your pot to another location whereby there is a clean and clear background. Try put it near the sunlight and take a picture in early morning or evening when the light is more warm and soft.

I think equipment do play a part but the 'setup' of your subject plays an important part too.

If shifting is not possible and you just want to draw attention to the flowers, how about putting a piece of thin white cloth at the back of the flowers and ensure sufficient light is present. Then you might try shoot in portrait orientation and close up on the flowers.

I seldom shoot flowers, just sharing some ideas in my mind...

5191674425_a246993918_z.jpg

(1) Isolate the area of interest which are the flowers. The background is very distracting.
(2) Image is a bit dim. The flowers looks flat.
(3) Picture is a bit soft.

this is taken by a sony point and shoot camera....i was very much interested in macro...but this is the best i got....it was and evening setup so a little low light. Thank you all for those valuable comments. Planning to buy a DSLR this week

Ok.

Some tricks here. You can use a large black cardboard to use as the background. This will block off all the other distracting elements in the rear. Normally, we'd achieve this using flash as main illumination and using the light fall-off to get a dark BG.

But since you do not have a DSLR set-up yet, this is what you may want to try. Next, composition, it's dead centre and unless it's meant to be a specicmen shot, I think you'd want to avoid this. Consider the thirds rule and try it from there. :)

Sweets!
(1) Isolate the area of interest which are the flowers. The background is very distracting.
(2) Image is a bit dim. The flowers looks flat.
(3) Picture is a bit soft.

Is there anything that can help with the white balance ???
Those flowers have a very strange color cast to them...

I think the background seperation is insufficient. The image seems a little underexposed to me, flower shots should be fresh looking. You might want to try creating an additional layer in photoshop and set blending mode to "screen", adjust opacity to vary overall brightness of image, merge then use balance to adjust the final outcome.

For me i think that..

... the flower is spam right in the center makes it uninteresting.

... there are too much spaces on the left and on the right. Maybe you can try cropping it to portrait.

... like one of th Cs-er said.. the flower looks very flat. May you can try other perspective.. e.g. take it from bottom to top.

Anyway nice work.. just keep shooting =)