Flickr photos used on NTU TV screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkbonz

Dec 11, 2006
Singapore
I just found out today that 2 of my pictures on my flickr is being showed on the TV screens in NTU's main canteen (spotted in Canteen A). It was seen by a friend who asked me if I've posted that 2 pics to any organization in NTU...but I didn't...

It was confirmed mine as the friend who saw it is the guy in one of the pictures below...and he knew i took him.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/381822601_a321fc9b33_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/381822520_733d50077d_o.jpg

Firstly, I'd set my copyright status on my flickr pics to "All Rights Reserved".
Secondly, no permission was seeked from me to post these pictures.
Finally, no credit was given to me.

I would like to find out from more experience CSers here if such a practice is correct? Or if you know which department in NTU is in charge of this, as I would like to clarify with them. One important thing to take note though, the pictures were NOT taken for school's publication uses, it was a personal photo outing with my that friend.

Thanks for your help!

not too sure about NTU's policy....but NIE asked me first before they used my photos for some of its publications. Personally, i think it's really not ethical using your photos without at least acknowledging the source.

ooo that's bad of them
go talk to them, it's your copyright, they can't just take photos and broadcast them.

squeeze money out of them!..not a right thing they do. but i have been approached at least thrice on my photos based on NTU, 1 from an architecture magazine 2 from NTU students. All of which I was able to give my acknowledgements.

see here's the thing. It's on a tv screen and not being published else where or anything so from what you've described its kinda like a screensaver to add to ambience. Sorry to bust your bubble though its unethical for them to do that without asking you or crediting you, they aren't doing anything illegal. And more than likely fair use can be used in this case.

Firstly, I'd set my copyright status on my flickr pics to "All Rights Reserved".
Secondly, no permission was seeked from me to post these pictures.
Finally, no credit was given to me.

I would like to find out from more experience CSers here if such a practice is correct? Or if you know which department in NTU is in charge of this, as I would like to clarify with them. One important thing to take note though, the pictures were NOT taken for school's publication uses, it was a personal photo outing with my that friend.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

This might not be directly related. There's a case of a family suing Virgin Mobile for using her picture without her consent. The advertisement also puts her in a bad light. Taken from the CNN website,

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/09/24/intv.virgin.flickr.lawsuit.cnn

When pictures are posted on Flickr (and most other photo sites), the pictures are open to ‘fair use’ (through the agreement option when signing up as a flickr user) which might/might not include advertising campaigns. The teen’s family is suing coz she never signed a release for the image to be used. Although the teen’s family is likely to win the case, this case will take quite a while to resolve.

Wes

Sometimes it may be produced by student works. No matter what, trash it out with them.

Play punk.. Just send the admin the bill for using your shots.. hahaha.. :bsmilie:

But seriously, talk to them about the breach of YOUR copyright..
Seek legal advice if you need..

NTU takes so much money from students still want free fotos... Just send a lawyer letter and sue them for damages.

NTU very bad! :thumbsd: why so cheapo? :bsmilie:

Chances are, it was created by a student or their media group (populated by students). I don't think it falls under "Fair use" anymore.

I suggest you just send them a bill for the licensing and reproduction fees of your 2 pictures and let them sort it out with their unethical students.

Thank you to ALL for your input and your advice.

I've decided not to take any action as it may mount to plenty of time and effort spent just to seek "justice". I've waited in the canteen to see my pictures and felt that NTU does not have any ill intention for putting up my pictures in that context.

One lesson learnt: Always put BIG signature on your pictures....! ;)

If there are no more comments regarding this matter, I'll close this thread very soon.

Thanks again!

TK

Shouldn't you at least write in to them asking for a reason why they used your photo?

Can start of 1st by thanking them for publicising your works.
Then ask them for the reason.
End off by highlighting any ethics/copyright they may have breached. & ask if they are going to rectify them.
Lastly, thank them again for their valuable time.
:angel:

Make it sound like you're going to take some sorta action.
:cool:

Well, my 2 photos are only 2 of the many photos being screened on the TV. Unless the school is using in publications or for profit, I WILL make noise. But I don't see the point in sending an email to ask as it is a once off matter.

Thanks AReality for your advice!

I'll close the thread.

Thanks again to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.