Flickr or Picasa Web Album??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin Howard

Feb 18, 2008
North Eastern Region
Dear fellow CSers,

I'll like to know your opinions on the above for uploading your images.
- Which one are you using? Do you think it's good?
- If you have both or tried both, which one do you prefer?

:) Shin.

Flickr (non-pro, going pro soon because I have too many shots I want to look back at, and posting all the pics on my photoblog for book-keeping just makes the website lag)

Free, Uploadr works well for what it's made to do- keywording and uploading.

I don't like picasa because I feel that everything that had out-of-the-ordinary 'springy' scrolling and those animations are just irritating. I use Lightroom2 for keywording and as a library / photo-editor so I don't need picasa.

I've never used Picasa before. And currently sticking with Flickr and like it enough to go paid.

The user interface of the service, such as browsing through the photos, the ease of uploading, general cleanliness of the design won me over enough not to be bothered by other online albums/picture storages. I know it works for me so I use it. I can't say that for sure about you.

Flick Pro.. Uploadr works on Mac well, integration with aperture, etc.

Tried Photobucket too much of hassle.Looks deep and confusing like a bucket. Then
found Flickr and straight away to PRO. A clean and user friendly site. Resolution of pictures
uploaded very good,just my 2cts.

I use my own webspace and website, though not mainly for photography but the same webspace lets you upload of course.

Thanks for sharing your experience & views.

I'm tried out both and I found that Flickr gives a better clarity when compressing the Jpeg files.

Picasa Web Album
_MG_5967.jpg

Flickr
2910827765_8ed26f440c_b.jpg

I've uploaded both for largest size, max quality. Do you see a difference?

Last edited:
Yes, I do see a difference in color too.

For either web-hosting service, I always resize my photos to 900x600 so that they have no need to compress it further.

u guys r lucky... i use to use flickr ...;(
but after i start working dubai...
flickr is ban here..:cry:
so.. now i am looking for something like flickr..
i still pick flickr anytime

dubai? wow..

i personally use both.. they are for different purpose i think.. i like picasa web album for general use because it syncs easily with picasa on my comp for easy upload and everything..

that said.. i also have a flickr account =D

Currently using flickr. It's user friendly and the resolution of pictures is quite good! ;)

sorry, but why is flickr banned in dubai?

photobucket free use for 1year now still using for occasional pics
flickr...use for 1 month went pro...never looked back.

Interesting... I didn't know that Flickr was banned in Dubai...
A bit of googling revealed that it was due to nudity found on Flickr that made UAE ban it for the sake of censorship.

I also found this..... how to bypass the the ban using proxy servers :p
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/05/bypass-flickr-ban-in-iran-uae-and-saudi.html

Yes, I do see a difference in color too.

For either web-hosting service, I always resize my photos to 900x600 so that they have no need to compress it further.

Zexun, do you resize the images using Photoshop?
Is it able to automate to resize a batch of images? :)

I'm using both. They got their pros and cons. Using Flickr to showcase my best photos while using Picassa for general snapshots.

i've been in the online world long enuff to try out many photo storage services.

Flickr is definitely the way to go. It is sleek, neat, organized and ultimately focused on providing a value for money PHOTOGRAPHY platform.

Go Flickr PRO!

Hello
I've sign up for free flickr account. I've uploaded some pics and it says that you've used 10% of your 100MB for this calendar month. You still have 90MB!
Just wanna ask you guys. If I used up all the free size, does it comes to Zero(0) value for the next calendar month..What does bandwith mean?
Thanks

Hello
I've sign up for free flickr account. I've uploaded some pics and it says that you've used 10% of your 100MB for this calendar month. You still have 90MB!
Just wanna ask you guys. If I used up all the free size, does it comes to Zero(0) value for the next calendar month..What does bandwith mean?
Thanks

Bandwidth equals to data transfer rate - the amount of data that can be carried from one point to another in a given time period (usually a second).

you are allocated the 100MB per month so even if you used upe everything this month, you get a fresh new 100MB transfer amount next month. I personally don't have problems with this as most of my uploads don't exceed the space given.

Status
Not open for further replies.