Flickr or Internet Explorer desaturates photos?

jellyfishy

Sep 6, 2009
West of Singapore
Hi guys, I recently encountered this problem, please share your thoughts on this issue.

The story starts like this - after I've done editting some of my photos, I find that they kinda got desaturated after I uploaded them to flickr, viewed using internet explorer.

If I use firefox as browser, they however appear the same as what I last saw them on photoshop before sending them online.

Doesn't that mean that I have to calibrate my monitor or there is something to do with my software. Currently I'm using a laptop and Photoshop CS4.

Your help will be highly appreciated.:)

Last edited:
You need to embed your ICC profile and use a color managed browser. Firefox latest version should be color managed.

This is probably the problem.

that's because IE is not color managed
although IE9 is stated to be color managed, but it doesn't seem to work as how it should.
for color managed browser, stick with firefox 3-3.5 or 4, there are some problems with 3.6

Hey guys, thx so much for your replies.

Hmmm.... I'm now in dilemma bcos there is this blog I'm currently managing now, most of my viewers are IE users, and every time I have to 'over-saturate' my photos before uploading in order to make them look like how I originally intend them to be. But they look totally unacceptable when I view it on Firefox.

Would there be a way to get around this problem?

Hmmm.... I'm now in dilemma bcos there is this blog I'm currently managing now, most of my viewers are IE users, and every time I have to 'over-saturate' my photos before uploading in order to make them look like how I originally intend them to be. But they look totally unacceptable when I view it on Firefox.

IT wise, you could continue over-saturate your photos, and put a disclaimer that says something along the line of,"this blog is best viewed with internet explorer 8 and 9."

i rather you do this because most would have IE (at least windows users), but not everyone would have firefox. I, for one, doesnt have FF; i use chrome..

thats the problem with digital images.
you can never present the colors you want to your viewers as intended.
Do not that even if you over-saturate your images to look good on your IE.
you have to factor in your viewer's color management system, monitor, monitor settings, viewing conditions etc.

since its a blog, it would best to have a disclaimer stating what browsers are more compatible etc.

and like what tesumi mentioned, always work on sRGB for web images. unless you are targeting viewers who are color managed.

hi TS

just assume your viewers won't be using color management, and use sRGB as the color space for your images... put a message asking your users to use a certain browser for best effect... there is no solve-all solution ... for me, the Safari browser works best...

Hey guys, thx so much for all your valuable suggestions. At the moment, it looks like putting up a disclaimer might just be the best answer to the woes.

In the first place, even if you color manage and calibrate your monitor, etc... If the layman who doesn't calibrate or color manage views your photos, he won't see what you see.

In the first place, even if you color manage and calibrate your monitor, etc... If the layman who doesn't calibrate or color manage views your photos, he won't see what you see.

that's why i dun think of calibrating anymore... unless if i need to print out.

Haha, you got the point :)

but at least you know you are viewing the right colors.
if colors are wrong at your point in the first place. there definitely won't be anyone viewing it right out there.

but at least you know you are viewing the right colors.
if colors are wrong at your point in the first place. there definitely won't be anyone viewing it right out there.

so far i dun have problems with my photo colors (only at times)

example:
206720_10150153301072523_688242522_6673586_2835007_n.jpg

the blue and pink tone a bit quite off...

i am using macbook btw and srgb on my camera. :)

You should still calibrate.

If you edit, and it's not done properly, in the end you will end up with weird photos. Which is why I've deleted a lot of my older photos.. That didn't look right after I got a good monitor.

You should still calibrate.

If you edit, and it's not done properly, in the end you will end up with weird photos. Which is why I've deleted a lot of my older photos.. That didn't look right after I got a good monitor.

ohh ok... can help me see my photos on my flickr with your good monitor? :p which monitor u using now btw?

I suggest getting IPS LCDs. They cost alot more but have much better colour reproduction and viewing angles.

Dell's ultrasharp range are excellent, using the 27" u2711 right now. Their 24" and above comes precalibrated from factory.

I suggest getting IPS LCDs. They cost alot more but have much better colour reproduction and viewing angles.

Dell's ultrasharp range are excellent, using the 27" u2711 right now. Their 24" and above comes precalibrated from factory.

w/o proper calibration, it would be quite pointless to have a good monitor, even Eizo might not give u accurate colors
factory calibrated or not, it's calibrated to the factory environment. Not the place that you are using the monitor.