Flexible Cable

fatigue

Sep 26, 2005
Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
forums.clubsnap.org
Just bought a defective kit lens to play with.

Here's my opinion on this thread:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695802

Yes, flexible cable is the usual problem.
DSC_130A.jpg

The cable controls the aperture mechanism and is always bent at the same spot during zoom in and out

Last edited:
To confirm a damaged flexible cable:
Simply shoot at maximum aperture (wide open) and you will notice no error display will be shown.
But if you shoot at a small aperture (or any aperture other than wide open) , an error display will be shown.

Other lens models may have the same problem, use the same diagnostic procedure to confirm a broken flexible cable.

So in case you're in a middle of important photo-shoot and suddenly faced with such problem, simply shoot at maximum aperture

How to DIY a broken cable :
Scratch the cable's insulation and solder carefully.
Add some clear epoxy as insulation
Bent the cable on a new location...
DSC_1305.jpg

(I'm not advertising my services, don't ask me to fix your lens, I'm just taking a break :bsmilie:)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention:

For lenses without manual focus override, never turn the focusing ring when lens is at AF.
It's not the motor that will be damaged, but the gears

hi fatigue,

my kit lens suffers from the exact problem you have explained, any chance of you helping to fix mine? I tried disassembling it but it proved to be a little too difficult for me, especially the soldering.

thanks in advance!

Great Job! thanks for sharing =)

(I'm not advertising my services, don't ask me to fix your lens, I'm just taking a break :bsmilie:)
hi fatigue,

my kit lens suffers from the exact problem you have explained, any chance of you helping to fix mine? I tried disassembling it but it proved to be a little too difficult for me, especially the soldering.

thanks in advance!

you missed his statement...:bsmilie: