Flashlight like SB-900

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayQuek31

Apr 24, 2008
Hi!

I would like to seek advice on flashlight. Currently, I do not own any flashlight but thinking of getting one like sb-900 but need some advices.

1) In what situation do you use flashlight?
2) How often do most of you use flashlight?

Hope to hear your advices! Thank you in advance!

Regards
Ray

Hi!

I would like to seek advice on flashlight. Currently, I do not own any flashlight but thinking of getting one like sb-900 but need some advices.

Regards
Ray

You know...what you are asking for is the most generalize question asked by newbies on a subject that is as varied and deep as describing the basics of Photography as a whole.

If someone distill it down to their version of explaining what are the reasons in point form, it would be still not be enough to justify you from buying an SB900 which is one of the most latest, pricey, advance to-date flash unit that can be in the hands of a newbie ...all the way to forummers writing thousand-words long essay explaining flash photography to you ....which could end up being lost to you if you barely understand it or know what to do with the information being a newbie.

If you search this forum this subject has been explained and describes so many times over and in varied of scenarios, I am certain there will be an opinion that will fit your present predicament.

Alternative...take a look at this site and see WHAT potential there is to using flash illumination in DAY and NIGHT and then decide for yourself if you should invest in a Nikon SB900 or something cheaper if this is really not what you want or it fit your camera type. And it is also written by, I think, one of the most well informed and big practitioner who uses flash in his shoot very well PLUS alot of advices for newbies.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
eh, from no flashlight to SB900 is alot of $$ commitment. if eventually get SB900 will it get used enough to justify the purchase?

would a cheaper model suffice?..

As sammy888 has mentioned, using flash in photography is an immensly deep topic. You can use an external flash in SO many different ways to achieve a plethora of varying effects!

As a beginner in flash photography, i think a SB-600 is a relatively cheap asset that will allow you to experiment with the basics. A SB-900 is seriously an overkill :bigeyes:

Cheers,
Trent

As sammy888 has mentioned, using flash in photography is an immensly deep topic. You can use an external flash in SO many different ways to achieve a plethora of varying effects!

As a beginner in flash photography, i think a SB-600 is a relatively cheap asset that will allow you to experiment with the basics. A SB-900 is seriously an overkill :bigeyes:

Cheers,
Trent

Just to add on, no point getting the SB-900 unless you really need the extra power for more reach. The SB-900 is designed to work well with the new FX full-frame series of lenses and camera, the reflectors within the flash unit are now able to project the light at wider angles. I would see the SB-800 /600 to be sufficient on a body with cropped sensor.

Last edited:
Hi!

Regards
Ray

What do you shoot currently? And have you understood the basics of flash photography? What would you need one for if you have no idea how to use it?

Please, read up more first before you get one and decide not to use it.

Better button placement and other ergonomics / improvements than SB800.
If using a flash extender for shooting far such as birds for example, the SB900 is definitely better.

But for most other situations, SB600/800 shld suffice.

Why not get something simple to try first. Of cost if budget is no issue anyway then no wrong getting the SB900 either.

Ryan

Thanks a lot for the advices!

I am new therefore I am still learning about photographing. So far I had not used much of flashlight from my built-in camera light but I wonder if it is good to buy a flashlight. I know people will ask me what type of shoots I am taking. I often took portrait, landscape, still life and night shooting but still . Personally, I feel that the flashlight caused the picture to appear flat and the background is dark. Maybe I might not know how to make use of flashlight.

I do not mind to invest in a flashlight but how often will I use and in what type of shooting will I need to use it. I know some people also use it as fill-light even in daylight so I would like to know in what situation will flashlight be used? Hope to hear and learn from you people. Thank you in advance!

Regards
Ray

Situations when subject may be backlit or the contrast of the subject to the BG lighting is too high.

Or when you wish to have even lighting across. Off-camera flash lighting is another long topic... :bsmilie:

SB-900 is a bit of an overkill for consumers who are new to flash lighting. The SB-600 is a good way to start....fantastic flash but no commander mode & PC Sync. I'd rather u put your money down on the SB-800. It's a really fantastic flash unit & many pros still use it.

SB 900 is made for professionals who need the extra power and flexibility of the SB900.SB 600 or even SB 400 is enough for us amateurs.

SB 900 is made for professionals who need the extra power and flexibility of the SB900.SB 600 or even SB 400 is enough for us amateurs.

I find SB400 adequate for many occasion. I like the fact that it is very small, easy to handle and use only 2AA batt.. also, the recycling time is reasonably fast. the downside to this is probably that it can only be tilted vertically..

Other than that, i love sb400 :D even thou i have sb800.. SB900, im giving no thoughts to it ;p

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for the advices!

I had bought the SB-800 at $480 about 2 weeks ago from TK foto. I was about to buy the sb-600 but I went to TK foto to try my luck if the price for sb-600 is cheaper but happen to know that sb-800 is only $480 include GST! Without much though, I bought the flash. Till now, I still quite happy with the purchase but still learning and trying out the flash.

Once again, thanks for the advice!

Regards
Ray

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for the advices!

I had bought the SB-800 at $480 about 2 weeks ago from TK foto. I was about to buy the sb-600 but I went to TK foto to try my luck if the price for sb-600 is cheaper but happen to know that sb-800 is only $480 include GST! Without much though, I bought the flash. Till now, I still quite happy with the purchase but still learning and trying out the flash.

Once again, thanks for the advice!

Regards
Ray

Enjoy it... have fun ;)

Oct issue of 'Practical Photograhy'.... a UK base PhotoMag had a review on Nikon SB-900 Speedlight. They gave it 5 out of 5 Stars :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.