Flashgun or Lens?

Recel

May 13, 2010
Hi there,

Recently, my family offered to buy me a camera equipment of my choice between $400 to $500 plus for my birthday. After some pondering and searching, I shortlisted two options a Nikon SB 900 or SB 800 and Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD lens.

As I am relatively green in the area of photography, I am not sure whether a flashgun or the above mentioned lens would better help me or be more useful for my photography in the future...hence not really sure which option I should settle on...

Hope to have some advice on whether I should go for the flashgun or the lens...

Thanks!

P.S. Currently using Nikon D80 with 18-55, 70-300, 50mm f1.8
-Interest in candid & street shots, wildlife, family photos
-Hope to be able to volunteer do coverage for events in school in the future
-Also hope to hone my photography skills enough ;p to help take wedding photos of relative, family or friends in the future

If you really must choose between one, then get the flashgun. It's always good to have a flash for events. F2.8 may not be useful in a lowlight indoor situation.

Flashgun.

since you already have a few lens and not flash...

then yup flash gun~! :bsmilie::bsmilie:

flash anytime,

a f2.8 lens will not change or improve your shots very much, but a flash will open a whole new world to you at this moment.

Definately buy flash gun. Once you learned using it, you will not want to use build in flash anymore.

With the current set up you have, go for the flash ;)

Hi there,

Recently, my family offered to buy me a camera equipment of my choice between $400 to $500 plus for my birthday. After some pondering and searching, I shortlisted two options a Nikon SB 900 or SB 800 and Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD lens.

As I am relatively green in the area of photography, I am not sure whether a flashgun or the above mentioned lens would better help me or be more useful for my photography in the future...hence not really sure which option I should settle on...

Thanks!

-Also hope to hone my photography skills enough ;p to help take wedding photos of relative, family or friends in the future

For events, indoor shots, you need a flash. SB900 cost around mid 600s. So it is out of your budget.

28mm for weddings and indoor is really too tight. You need 17-50 or 17-55. Tamron 17-50/2.8 is also out of your budget if you get new.

What I suggest you go for is a SB600 new. It will open up so much for your current setup.

Last edited:
Get the flash... the other lens can wait. :)

Flash:) and have you looked at Nissin Di866? Its quite a good choice at its price

Last edited:
Hi there,

Thanks!

i say a SB600 is more than gd enough for ur needs.

flash ................more family/school photo indoors....

wow, everyone is recommending to get the flash, and I 100% agree.

if you really intend to get the flash, invest in a good one. for events, you need a good recycle rate. If not you might miss a good shot when you snap too fast and the flash doesn't recycle in time. A external flash batter pack helps

A big thank you to all who provided your invaluable advice :D haha helped me more or less settled on my choice...a flash! ;)

Will take all your advice into consideration when time comes (haha counting down...) to decide which flash to get.

Thanks all again for all your invaluable advice in helping me make my choice :)