flashes

takane

Sep 14, 2009
Singapore
*decided to post here to open to all since some might not read sticky*

yo bros, i intend to get a flash for taking closeups.. rather, to bounce flash since my makeshift business cards always draw alot of question marks.
since im going for close ups within a normal room height, i dont need too strong a flash so was thinking of getting a cheap one but any bros here have any suggestion? preferably can swivel so i can take different angels

was looking at artworkfoto (mchaint) series, eh, camera will still autofocus with slightly dim light right? even without TTL?*
Tumax DPT386 AFZ
Tumax DSL988 AFZ
Tumax DSL286AF(DSL20AF)
SPEED Lite YN460 Mark II Flash
Tumax DM 22 Digital Auto Flash
YINYAN CY-20 Universal Hot Shoe mini Flash *i see this one can rotate upwards and cheap was quite ^_^ but not sure anyone used it before?*

I'm using K-X..

close up of ??
indoor ??

my bad, sometimes gadgets, family and friends
and yes indoors is my biggest obstacle so far.. the business card diffuser is adequate for me, but not the skeptical faces that always appears
outdoorwise, would also be family and friends mainly less than 2 metres away

in my opinion for indoors especially close-up, bounce flash with diffuser is best....

in my opinion for indoors especially close-up, bounce flash with diffuser is best....

yes.. but i am looking at alternatives other than those Pentax, Sigma, Pro and Metz ones that's cheaper which is why i hope to see if any bros used those models i mentioned above..

** At the same time, if a mod could help, to edit title to Flashes for K-X?*

Am using the SPEED Lite YN460 Mark II Flash (manual) flash .

So far so good. using bounce most of the time. Will try to post some sample photo tonight . But again ... I am still very new to both flash and DSLR too ...

In fact , if u dun mind to travel down to woodlands :) i can let u try it before u really buy 1 . cheer

All the Tumax are out. They don't come on Pentax flash mount. Not sure if they work on the camera or not.

YN460 Mark II some are using here. Baracus being the most notable strobist here using it.
I don't have it, but after playing around with it, I like it. I do have doubts on its complete reliability with the PT-04 wireless triggers though. :think:
Then again, ~$100, power control, swivel head. Nothing much to complain about.
Fully manual of course. My personal choice if I have a very small budget and want a well featured flash.

Don't see a point with the other smaller flashes unless you need them to be that portable. Personally, no angle or bounce head is a no-no for me. They can be useful for other purposes (eg. macro or portable bare flash shots).

Note that you need to get comfortable with manual flash to enjoy the use of all the budget flashes you mentioned. Its not too hard to learn, but its certainly not a straight road like TTL/P-TTL/Auto.

yo bros, i intend to get a flash for taking closeups.. rather, to bounce flash since my makeshift business cards always draw alot of question marks.
since im going for close ups within a normal room height, i dont need too strong a flash so was thinking of getting a cheap one but any bros here have any suggestion? preferably can swivel so i can take different angels

was looking at artworkfoto (mchaint) series, eh, camera will still autofocus with slightly dim light right? even without TTL?*
Tumax DPT386 AFZ
Tumax DSL988 AFZ
Tumax DSL286AF(DSL20AF)
YINYAN CY-20 Universal Hot Shoe mini Flash *i see this one can rotate upwards and cheap was quite ^_^ but not sure anyone used it before?*

I'm using K-X..

All the Tumax are out. They don't come on Pentax flash mount. Not sure if they work on the camera or not.

The Tumax DSL988 AFZ comes in Pentax mount. Works fully Auto only, (or full power off-camera) so I sold it.

YN460 Mark II some are using here. Baracus being the most notable strobist here using it.
I don't have it, but after playing around with it, I like it. I do have doubts on its complete reliability with the PT-04 wireless triggers though. :think:
Fully manual of course. My personal choice if I have a very small budget and want a well featured flash.

I am not worthy. :sweat:
You should have seen us at work during the photo story, constantly trying to get the 3 Yongnuos to sync. (Ended up using 2 only) Let's just say we drained a fully charged unit near the end of the 1hr(?) shoot... But overall, the Yongnuo is bang-for-buck.

Don't see a point with the other smaller flashes unless you need them to be that portable. Personally, no angle or bounce head is a no-no for me. They can be useful for other purposes (eg. macro or portable bare flash shots).

Unless you use them for off-camera use.

Note that you need to get comfortable with manual flash to enjoy the use of all the budget flashes you mentioned. Its not too hard to learn, but its certainly not a straight road like TTL/P-TTL/Auto.

It can be frustrating or fun, depending on your tolerance level. I prefer the school of hard knocks. ;p

The Tumax DSL988 AFZ comes in Pentax mount. Works fully Auto only, (or full power off-camera) so I sold it.

I don't have it, but after playing around with it, I like it. I do have doubts on its complete reliability with the PT-04 wireless triggers though.

I am not worthy. :sweat:
You should have seen us at work during the photo story, constantly trying to get the 3 Yongnuos to sync. (Ended up using 2 only) Let's just say we drained a fully charged unit near the end of the 1hr(?) shoot... But overall, the Yongnuo is bang-for-buck.

Unless you use them for off-camera use.

It can be frustrating or fun, depending on your tolerance level. I prefer the school of hard knocks. ;p

thanks pinholecam and baracus for your feedback

fully auto = not my type, like you, i prefer hard knocks to remember everything permanently
i'll only be using it on my k-x and not separately.. that is, unless there's sponsorship for a few more, i dont mind :p
so long it survives 5~10k shots, its good enough :bsmilie:

Am using the SPEED Lite YN460 Mark II Flash (manual) flash .

So far so good. using bounce most of the time. Will try to post some sample photo tonight . But again ... I am still very new to both flash and DSLR too ...

In fact , if u dun mind to travel down to woodlands :) i can let u try it before u really buy 1 . cheer

thanks alot mate =) just need to see which one works for k-x =P

Tumax DPT386 AFZ
Tumax DSL988 AFZ
Tumax DSL286AF(DSL20AF)

I'm using K-X..

Both the Tumax DM22 and Yinyan CY20 can rotate upwards.But i'll recommend you to get the Youngnuo YN460 II as its more powerful:)

Although this might not be related but since the thread says 'flashes'. I might as well post here in case who knows someone might benefit if they are thinking doing the same thing.

Saw this thread at work and decided to check the wireless remote trigger I had I got to types but I found this one (iShoot wireless - comes in 3 remotes which connects to flashes and one trigger that connects to camera hotshoe).

Using K-x and Nikon SB-600, it tested successfully with this wireless trigger :) didn't want to risk using my other Nikon flashes. But looks like it worked no issues. One thing I just realized not many 3rd party makers makes for Pentax, why is that? is it due to market share smaller than Ni/Ca/So?

Now a bit of OT.. I just ordered an adapter to fit Nikon lens onto Pentax, for it to be able to focus to Infinity they had to put a glass in the adapter of course that will degrade the overall image quality but I am hoping not too much, doing all this so I can keep using my prime lens at least. Will deliver in next few days hopefully no delays. Also hoping it will work with K-x, the website site said "Nikon lens to Pentax K10d k20d k100d k200d DS adapter" so I am thinking it will work with K-x but I am not sure.

../azul123

Noob question here, with a flash mounted on the hotshoe can you still use the build-in pop-up flash?:dunno:

Was thinking something inline with the mounted flash set-up for bounce and the pop-up as fill in..:think: is that possible?

Noob question here, with a flash mounted on the hotshoe can you still use the build-in pop-up flash?:dunno:

Was thinking something inline with the mounted flash set-up for bounce and the pop-up as fill in..:think: is that possible?

look at u're pop-up flash carefully....can it actually "pop-up" fully if external flash is mounted on the hotshoe????

look at u're pop-up flash carefully....can it actually "pop-up" fully if external flash is mounted on the hotshoe????

:sweatsm: So answer is cannot.. thanks for pointing that out, I have no external flash yet, so that's why the question "pop-up":bsmilie:

Using K-x and Nikon SB-600, it tested successfully with this wireless trigger :) didn't want to risk using my other Nikon flashes. But looks like it worked no issues. One thing I just realized not many 3rd party makers makes for Pentax, why is that? is it due to market share smaller than Ni/Ca/So?

As long as there is a center pin and same voltage rating, the flash will trigger. (Pretty much every flash unit made for DSLR. I think Sony hotshoe mount is slightly different) I have a SB-600 too, but too bad the contact pins oxidized. :(

As for diversity, what do you think? The same goes for 3rd party lenses. Sometimes, less choice means less headache. ;)

Now a bit of OT.. I just ordered an adapter to fit Nikon lens onto Pentax, for it to be able to focus to Infinity they had to put a glass in the adapter of course that will degrade the overall image quality but I am hoping not too much, doing all this so I can keep using my prime lens at least. Will deliver in next few days hopefully no delays. Also hoping it will work with K-x, the website site said "Nikon lens to Pentax K10d k20d k100d k200d DS adapter" so I am thinking it will work with K-x but I am not sure.

../azul123

Not sure about the adapter since none of us (that I know) has it. But Opera58 mentioned he managed to DIY a Nikon-Pentax mount/lens. You could try asking him.