Flashes for baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugene7788

Apr 28, 2008
Hi, i have a question.

If it safe to take pictures for baby using strobes flashes?

Thanks.

I personally would not want to do that. But, I heard somebody saying it is not bad as long as it is not direct, maybe you could bounce it to the ceiling or something. :sweat:

I personally would not want to do that. But, I heard somebody saying it is not bad as long as it is not direct, maybe you could bounce it to the ceiling or something. :sweat:

Can i just check... why would it be bad?

Regards

Can i just check... why would it be bad?

Regards

Babies have sensitive eyes and random, sudden bright flashes of light might cause blindness?

Babies have sensitive eyes and random, sudden bright flashes of light might cause blindness?

And their eyes gets less sensitive as they grow up? When would be a good time to start using flash on babies / kids?

Regards

Last edited:
just goolge "camera flash", "harm", "baby" will find many answers on this topic.

anyway, just see this video and tell me what you think.
[vid]AydQQBxX9eU[/vid]

the studio flash she uses, is many many time powerful than yours.

And their eyes gets less sensitive as they grow up? When would be a good time to start using flash on babies / kids?

Regards

im sure TS found his answer and this thread can close liao.
Theres just too many myths around.. heresay's' are definately bad. ;p

Regards

Thank you so much for all the answers.

I think i have better knowledge.

Thanks again.

Babies eyes are not as developed as adults and they are not able to protect themselves from the bright flashes (esp direct lighting)

The Anne Geddes pics mainly depict the baby already sleeping and are diffused.

I personally would not use flash on a baby under 12 months. :)

It all depends on HOW you use the flash.

Just saying 'diffused' is not enough (not referring to anyone in particular ;)) as many would think it's OK to slap on an omnobounce or GFLS or a whaletail or a Demb and just blast away with a 50mm from close range ... which I'm not surprised is exactly what a lot of folks do!

If it was that bad, countless studios and photographers would be guilty of blinding countless human beings for life! And probably be bakrupt from all the lawsuits.

for babies, even if its not proven to be bad for the baby etc, shouldn't we err on the side of caution.

One additional thing to note...

we're largely getting shortsighted... Could the prevalance of camera gear be part of the cause?

we're largely getting shortsighted... Could the prevalance of camera gear be part of the cause?

yea was thinking of that...10 years ago, during film, there are less shots taken as compared to now..

there really seem to be more young kids wearing glasses nowadays

TV and computer monitor is the culprit.....

just goolge "camera flash", "harm", "baby" will find many answers on this topic.

anyway, just see this video and tell me what you think.
[vid]AydQQBxX9eU[/vid]

the studio flash she uses, is many many time powerful than yours.

LOL!

Can never miss the grotty carpeting of Vegas conventional halls! :bsmilie:

It all depends on HOW you use the flash.

Just saying 'diffused' is not enough (not referring to anyone in particular ;)) as many would think it's OK to slap on an omnobounce or GFLS or a whaletail or a Demb and just blast away with a 50mm from close range ... which I'm not surprised is exactly what a lot of folks do!

If it was that bad, countless studios and photographers would be guilty of blinding countless human beings for life! And probably be bakrupt from all the lawsuits.

i agree.
Flashes are not harmful to babies' eyes. The myth about not using flashes most prob stems from some over-protective parents.

In reality, if used appropriately, most of us would get the pics and not do any harm in any way to the kids/babies at all.

Saying that the flash can blind is akin to a DSLR can kill a baby if dropped on him/her. then use PnS???

Regards

Well, I wouldn't risk a 1D or D3 with a 70/80-200 2.8 dropped from any height onto a baby! :sweat: :sweatsm:

Anyways ... as in any area in life, you get all sorts fallacies and beliefs at work.

Nope, don't think so
yea was thinking of that...10 years ago, during film, there are less shots taken as compared to now..

there really seem to be more young kids wearing glasses nowadays
Nope. camera is not the cause..
TV and computer monitor is the culprit.....
yes,

not every family have cameras, but almost each family with kids have two to three TV and computer nowadays, can you guys tell me how many hours we facing TV, computer screen each day? at school, at work, at home, at shopping centers, at food courts, on the streets?

btw, myopia can be inheritable.

if you use a flash bounce at ceiling to take photos of baby, let said the duration of the burst of flash is at 1/25000 sec, you can took 5 shots and get the photos you want.

but if someone tell you flash will harm the baby, so you move your baby near the windows to get better lights, and you can have a handheld shutter speed of 1/125 sec, f5.6, but you need to spend 15mins there.

in term of the intensity of light falls on baby, can you tell me which is stronger and more irritating?

I had a newborn 3 months ago and I had not used flash on him until recently (and it was by accident when I forgot to select no flash for my p&s camera).

Now I only use flash when he is not looking in that direction. eg when he is laying down then I dun use ceiling bounce flash, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.