Flashed Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

germ_boi

Oct 3, 2003
Sedna, Orion Stars
Visit site
Yes, yes, I flashed the cat. But it was in broad daylight and no catchlights are in the eyes, so I dont think that there's serious damage done. Anyway, tried to replicate the images I've seen in some websites and magazines, I think it was a style one photographer did for ACJC, can't remember the photographer now. Anyway, do critque!

IMG_0676asmall.jpg

I think the lines are intrestingly composed such that they lead you to the cat. It seems though that the cat is a little OOF? I also find the unbalanced lighitng (half illuminated) of the cat very wierd. What is your purpose in shooting the cat at that location and in that style of lighting?

Your image is underexposed.I was distracted by the bright sky and your object (the cat) is not separated from the background. But I think the cat is boring because of its eyes..

To improve this image, I think you should crop it then blur the background partially. Make us attracted by its eyes and its red tongue. I think it's quite interesting when I look closer at its tongue.

Don't know a golden rule number howmany..When we take photo of animals, focus at their eyes..

Check the hood. I think that's the offending part where it caused the shadow on the bottom part of the cat.

Check the hood. I think that's the offending part where it caused the shadow on the bottom part of the cat.

i thought is TS's head :)

Never use the camera's built in flash when using a hood... :nono:

Ok, here's my input.

I was not using the hood when I was using the built-in flash. I was using the 10-22mm and I wanted to use the flash to isolate the head from the body. I guess the lens is so wide such that the flash cannot cover the entire field.

Yes, I would agree that the way it is flashed is unpleasant, but I'm tired of the usual shots of the cat looking cute and nothing more. More over, I wanted to bring out the cat together with the blue sky. Because if no flash is used, the sky would become blownout.

I was trying to replicate like I said earlier, some fashion styles. The focus on the eyes of the cat, their expressions, I got some of those too, but I wanted to try something different. I think I will be moving in this direction from now on, hopefully can derive something new.

Cheers!

If you are intrested in alterative cat photos take a look at Azure's cat pics. They capture the life of a street cat without any cute sugar coating well. Perhaps his style might be something similar to what you want to achive?

Yes, yes, I flashed the cat. But it was in broad daylight and no catchlights are in the eyes, so I dont think that there's serious damage done. Anyway, tried to replicate the images I've seen in some websites and magazines, I think it was a style one photographer did for ACJC, can't remember the photographer now. Anyway, do critque!

IMG_0676asmall.jpg

Nice..I kind of like it.

This photograph has a sense of attitude and curiosity that come forth by the potrayal of this animal. Flash, undexposure or what not be damned.. the 'flair factor' is there!.

Duh... why cant it be use external flash when using the hood :embrass:

Even when you're using an external flash, a hood of a 12-24 will still interfere and cause shadows at 12mm settings. ;)

Even when you're using an external flash, a hood of a 12-24 will still interfere and cause shadows at 12mm settings. ;)
Dudes dudes aren't you getting a bit too OT already. Anyway my take on the flash issue is if you are using a lens with lenshood on do not use your inbuild flash because there will be an ugly shadow.

If you use an external flash (420ex - 580ex), no matter how much your hood, I do not think there will be any shadow, unless someone else can provide me with a photo to prove me wrong.

Dudes dudes aren't you getting a bit too OT already. Anyway my take on the flash issue is if you are using a lens with lenshood on do not use your inbuild flash because there will be an ugly shadow.

If you use an external flash (420ex - 580ex), no matter how much your hood, I do not think there will be any shadow, unless someone else can provide me with a photo to prove me wrong.

Sorry for the OT. Was trying to point out to the other forummer on the point, no pics on hand. Will try to check with my fren for an example.

hahaha, ah! yes thats the one... but seems like my memory is failing me.. I thought his photos looked way better than those posted in the forum. I did see some in his website at one time. I loved those shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.