Flash?

pryer

May 21, 2010
Singapore
Hello! I am pretty new here...

I am planning to invest in a flash for my canon 550D. I need it to be decent in both quality and pricing. So far I've been contemplating on getting either the yongnuo 468, nissin di622, or sigma ef530 dg-st. Then again my friends have been telling me to just go straight for the canon 430EXII. Super confused.

I need a flash good enough for ceremonies, parties, gatherings, dinners.. etc...

Please advise! Thanks!

di622 is nissin's equivalent of canon 430exii

if you want a peace of mind, just get the 430exii, else the nissin performs just as well and at a cheaper cost.

If you want hassle free shooting, do get the canon one. Its not recommended if you wanna save at the expense of quality, besides, you may end up paying more is the 3rd party flashes spoil.

Hello! I am pretty new here...

I am planning to invest in a flash for my canon 550D. I need it to be decent in both quality and pricing. So far I've been contemplating on getting either the yongnuo 468, nissin di622, or sigma ef530 dg-st. Then again my friends have been telling me to just go straight for the canon 430EXII. Super confused.

I need a flash good enough for ceremonies, parties, gatherings, dinners.. etc...

Please advise! Thanks!
well, the Canon flashes are designed to work well with Canon DSLRs :)
I think the 3rd party flashes are catching up very fast. Heard good things about brands like Nissin.
If your budget allows for it, then consider getting the 430EX. Only if you find it too pricey, then consider 3rd party.

it depends if you need a flash frequently in which case buying becomes a necessary, otherwise there is always the option of rental.

which flash you need depends on the features + power of the flash.

I am using the 530DG ST...very simple, either 1/16th power or maximum. Everything else i adjust in camera mainly using FEC.

or if in doubt, use the 430exii. ettl may not be accurate, but so far when used right can get good results.

it depends if you need a flash frequently in which case buying becomes a necessary, otherwise there is always the option of rental.

which flash you need depends on the features + power of the flash.

I am using the 530DG ST...very simple, either 1/16th power or maximum. Everything else i adjust in camera mainly using FEC.
if the flash has only 2 possible outputs, then adjusting Flash Exp Compensation on the camera body will have no result, am I right?
When adjusting flash exp compensation, the power output of the flash is reduced/increased according to the setting on the camera body. At least that's what I experience with my D80/D90 and speedlights.

or if in doubt, use the 430exii. ettl may not be accurate, but so far when used right can get good results.

May i know what you mean by ettl may not be accurate? I'm also contemplating which flash to buy. I use flash occasionally during gatherings, family dinner etc and the rest of the time, mainly taking landscape while travelling. So will 430 EXII be good enough for my usage?

for your usage I think the 430 should be just fine... I'm not sure what allenleonhart meant by the ettl not accurate.
Maybe the flash tends to over/underexpose intermittently? Hope not.

I'm using the Nikon equivalent, the SB600... so far flash output quite accurate. I sometimes adjust flash EV up or down a little to suit my taste, depending on the modifier I use (flash cap, bounce card, etc)

If I were you, I would simply get the Canon 430 EXII.

Thanks.. i find it hard to justify spending $700 for a 580EXII flash and is like :hung:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions... I think I will go with the 430EXII. But could Allenleonhart ellaborate the ettl accuracy statement? I don't understand. Thanks!