Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZ5owner

May 28, 2005
paradise
bros,
any recommendation for a slave flash for FZ5???

Thanks

lol my emoblitz 328.. which i've promised to bro Trey..

unseen said:

where to get?? wat the price?

thanks

can oso get a non slave flash & add a slave trigger (about $20)...

Emoblitz 328DTZ would be a budget flash with slave function & can swivel & tilt... But it feels pretty brittle. Like if u accidentally drop or knock then gone already. Cheapo plastic feel which I personally don't like but must live with it because I no money. Haha! AP @ Sim Lim selling for $55. You have to say you got the quote from other people otherwise they'll quote you like $70 or so.

i'll personally advise you to get a diffusser along with it. that's another $10.

unseen said:
i'll personally advise you to get a diffusser along with it. that's another $10.

$10 is from AP? They quoted me $12 (those plastic which can cover onto the Emoblitz flash). I didn't know what the price should be (tried searching in this forum but couldn't find the info). But I bargained to $10. So now I know it's the right price...

unseen said:
Is the diffuser good? Currently I'm using a small plain business card as a bounce card but my shots turn out funny. How funny? Well, if I click 1 stop up, the top maybe 20% will not be lighted up by the flash. If I click another stop up (2 stops), there's abit of light falloff at the bottom approximately 20%... Should I have used a larger bounce card? Or would a cap on diffuser work better?

Oops... sorry. OT-ed... :sweat:

haha business card is kinda small...
try a larger one..
or if u got the time like me, make your own... i dug long n hard to find the exact same material they use, and then spent another long time cutting one out for myself..
just make sure it's more reflective, it'll help...

thanks so much for the info
will go AP to get it maybe this weekend

unseen said:

u selling urs??? wanna sell to me??...:bsmilie:

haha sorry bro... he responded 1st.. just sold to him a few hours ago.. nice friendly guy. :)

unseen said:
haha sorry bro... he responded 1st.. just sold to him a few hours ago.. nice friendly guy. :)

hehe...its with me already ....thanks bro unseen for let me fiddling with your 350D..now that I got the flash thinking of my selling off the whole set to get dslr:(

unseen said:

hahahaha....... no worry bro
helping u to promote ur flash.....:bsmilie:

going shopping for camera stuff this sat................:sticktong

heh my advise is, don't bother with dSLR until you really feel the need for certain features, or limitations of your camera. i personally feel that the FZ series is really good enough for most people. heh if you still shoot in program/auto mode, then chances are the dSLR won't help you much at all.
:) hee dun get dSLR and shoot in auto mode wor.. people will laugh one...

natnivek said:
What are you hoping to achieve? :)

Diffuser & bounce card both have their uses.
Hmm... I'm hoping to get more even, diffused lighting, especially for close range shots & portrait shots. If I use direct flash, features and color always gets blown out and/or blown white. Bounce card is cool, save for the limitations of my puny DIY bounce card... haha!

Mind sharing what are the different uses? Just briefly will do... ;)

unseen said:
heh my advise is, don't bother with dSLR until you really feel the need for certain features, or limitations of your camera. i personally feel that the FZ series is really good enough for most people. heh if you still shoot in program/auto mode, then chances are the dSLR won't help you much at all.
:) hee dun get dSLR and shoot in auto mode wor.. people will laugh one...

bro,
strongly agree with u. must learn to crawl before walking mah..............hahahahha

karnage said:
Hmm... I'm hoping to get more even, diffused lighting, especially for close range shots & portrait shots. If I use direct flash, features and color always gets blown out and/or blown white. Bounce card is cool, save for the limitations of my puny DIY bounce card... haha!

Mind sharing what are the different uses? Just briefly will do... ;)

Briefly(because I'm no expert), the first thing is that you should get a proper flash. Depending on the flash that you're using, the best would be to have a flash that you can adjust the aperature, distance and ISO to sync with your camera. This step is very important to prevent any pics from being blown out and over/under exposed. There are quite a few in the market that would be able to do that.

When using the fz20, your ISO will usually stick to 100/200. So the only thing you should be adjusting the distance & aperture.

You should consider the shutter speed as well. What I usually do is to set to shutter priority, and set it to about 1/25 or 1/15. Depending on how steady your hands are. The reason is to capture not just the subject but the background as well. Common problem of flash photography indoors is that the subject is well lit but the background is all black right?

Eg. 1/25 with diffuser 45 degrees
P1070809ee.jpg

Then the second question would be do I put anything on the flash? The common things people use would be the diffuser or bounce card. I personally use a diffuser because it satisfies most of my needs very well. I ever saw a pro photographer covering a D&D just using a diffuser and the pics came out very well. Moreoever, having a bounce card is not the most convenient thing to carry around when you're shooting.

So what is bounce flash? This is when you tilt the flash head to about 45degrees (or more)facing the subject. So when the flash fires, it'll bounce off the ceiling and the subject will be illuminated quite nicely without having the "headlight-in-deer" eyes. This is usually used when you're indoors taking pictures of people. Highly recommended.

eg. 1/60 bounce with diffuser
P1040218e.jpg

Problem comes when the ceiling is too high or not suitable (eg. ceiling is blue in colour or very uneven). That is when some would recommend a bounce card. So by sticking the bounce card onto your flash, the bounce card will act like your ceiling and give a nice spread to the light.

But I don't do that. I'd just put on my diffuser and shoot. Usually it should be ok.

eg. 1/15s with diffuser 45 degrees
DSC_0991e.jpg

Practice bro... ;) Hope this helps a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.