Flash X-tender: setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Just got this earlier and have a question regarding putting this thing together :embrass:

They included 3 Velcro strips with the unit, and the longer one goes between the body and the rotating head. The shorter two, according to the illustration, goes onto the smaller end of the two brackets to "custom-fit the flash X-Tender to your flash unit". However, if the smaller brackets fit under the elastic band, which holds it quite rigid, what is the use of the two additional Velcro strips (which doesn't even stick onto the elastic band?)

The other question, is the Frenel supposed to be flat or curved slightly when the X-Tender is in position?

GYR

Hmmm... on my X-tender unit, the "hairy" stuff was not really velcro but more of a velcro-type material with an adhesive back.

They are used as "spacers" to make sure that the Fresnel lens is flat (not curved), and applied at or near the end of the flash head to "spread" out the guides so that when the Fresnel lens is stuck onto the guides, its flat. Kinda hard to put into words, but I hope you get the gist.

The vertical/horizontal positioning of the Fresnel is very important as the "focused" beam can affect lighting/exposure if off centre. Test with a normal lens shooting at a wall and adjust the Fresnel lens until the "light spot" is at the centre of the image.

Heh, thanks.. I arrived at that after playing a bit with it.. had some trouble with the vertical alignment (illumination was a bit low), but got it after a bit of adjusting :thumbsup: This thing is AWESOME!

Anyway, on a D70 with an SB800, should I leave the flash on TTL, and set the flash head to 50mm?

Thanks dude

Hope the neighbours don't call the cops, have been illuminating the neighbouring block the last 5 minutes (the side of the wall though, not into any windows) :)

Gymrat76 said:
Anyway, on a D70 with an SB800, should I leave the flash on TTL, and set the flash head to 50mm?
Thats the recommendation.

Also, if you are intending to use the X-tender as fill, you should dial down the Flash EV - typically between -2/3EV and 1-2/3EV

okay, thanks... just wondering, whats the range of this thing? How do I judge at what distance it becomes ineffective, as in is there a general guideline to using this?

Anyone know if the Night Safari allows flash photography? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.