Flash wireless triggers: IR or RF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuko

Apr 23, 2003
TIMOR S'PORE
www.flickr.com
I would like to know which of the above is better.I'm about to buy a second flash(580ex II) as my primary and use my existing 420ex as slave.

For indoor and outdoor shoots,any limitations any of the triggering system pose?

When I set my 420ex to slave,its infra red sensors blinks,is this normal?

How much each system costs?

Appreciate your opinions.Thanks

I think you would have to either mount it, or use a hotshoe cable, for the 580EX to trigger the 420EX. In short, the 580EX can't go far from your camera. If you were to get an ST-E2, then it's wireless triggering for both your 580EX and 420EX away from camera. The 420EX blinking is normal, if it doesn't, it's probably out of battery.

For IR: 580EX or a ST-E2
For Radio: PocketWizard

Not too sure about the cost. For IR, you can't stray too far from one another, and the flash and trigger must have a line of sight. They do send information to one another so that you can adjust your settings and light ratio from where you are. Not too sure about radio, my impression is that you will have the flexibility of placing your flashes anywhere but must manually program the output on the flash itself.

From what I remember, I think there's a new product that combines the benefits of both IR and Radio. It's called RadioPooper or something.

Wow thanks,
mm..have to mount the 580ex huh?..if i want to place it off camera for both flash..then its the canon's transmitter...ouch..saw it but $280..uurrghh..

thinking of doing like a studio setup but with speed flash lights instead of those expensive lights monoblocks.Placing both flashes with light modifiers or umbrellas.Just thinking only whether its posible.For indoor/outdoor use...mounted on simple DIY stands..

I think you would have to either mount it, or use a hotshoe cable, for the 580EX to trigger the 420EX. In short, the 580EX can't go far from your camera. If you were to get an ST-E2, then it's wireless triggering for both your 580EX and 420EX away from camera. The 420EX blinking is normal, if it doesn't, it's probably out of battery.

For IR: 580EX or a ST-E2
For Radio: PocketWizard

Not too sure about the cost. For IR, you can't stray too far from one another, and the flash and trigger must have a line of sight. They do send information to one another so that you can adjust your settings and light ratio from where you are. Not too sure about radio, my impression is that you will have the flexibility of placing your flashes anywhere but must manually program the output on the flash itself.

From what I remember, I think there's a new product that combines the benefits of both IR and Radio. It's called RadioPooper or something.

Radiopopper la!

Radiopopper

I think radiopopper is not launched yet.
Anybody know if any cheap RF flash trigger set available in sg?...any china made types..seems that the RF has better range than IR types.

I think radiopopper is not launched yet.
Anybody know if any cheap RF flash trigger set available in sg?...any china made types..seems that the RF has better range than IR types.

i am also looking at setting up speedlites for such usage. i think i will stick with using the onboard wireless at the moment until the working distance and area makes it impossible. but then if u are gonna get cheap flashguns and use manual mode, then go for the RF triggers. :thumbsup:

speaking of wireless trigger, IR trigger work best in indoor, and you flash must have a built in IR receiver. radio trigger work both indoor and outdoor, and it come in set of transmitter and receiver. those cheapo radio trigger may have interference with the mobile phone, my last experience with that cheapo china trigger is turn my studio flashes into a disco light, they keep firing when someone phone ring.

for triggering your canon flash, do note you will be working on manual mode, and hotshoe flash are not that powerful, so you can only use an umbrella and have place the light very close to your subject.

hope this help.

speaking of wireless trigger, IR trigger work best in indoor, and you flash must have a built in IR receiver. radio trigger work both indoor and outdoor, and it come in set of transmitter and receiver. those cheapo radio trigger may have interference with the mobile phone, my last experience with that cheapo china trigger is turn my studio flashes into a disco light, they keep firing when someone phone ring.

for triggering your canon flash, do note you will be working on manual mode, and hotshoe flash are not that powerful, so you can only use an umbrella and have place the light very close to your subject.

hope this help.

oh ya. tat reminded me of why i dun like using radio. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.