Flash when taking infant

small pig

May 17, 2011
Punggol
Hi, anyone have issue taking photo at infant but the flash is overwhelming even after diffusing.

Hi, anyone have issue taking photo at infant but the flash is overwhelming even after diffusing.

Then reduce your flash output, or bounce. Note that some flashes may fire a pre-shot strobe to evaluate metering, and the diffuser may confuse the camera into thinking it needs to boost the flash output. So best to override or bounce.

if you reduce the flash output to minimum, shouldn't be overwhelming ba...
Your ISO speed too high, and/or your aperture too large? ;)

Overwhelming does not sound like an issue with the infant, rather an issue with flash / camera settings. Or are you concerned about possible side effects on the eyes of the child? However irritating a flash might be, it is not harmful in any way. But of course, scaremongers will never agree :)

Shoot without flash by placing the subject near/next to the window (natural light)

i've been using flash on my kids since day one and they turn out just fine. as long its not point blank on full power should be harmless.

- flash only happens for a split second, not long enough to do real harm.
- infant's eyes cant fully focus yet, so its diffused the moment it enters the eye.
- doctors agreed its harmless.

i've been using flash on my kids since day one and they turn out just fine.

you mean, your kids, or photos or both?
anyway shooters may want to bounce flash off walls. nice big gentle soft box

Shizuma said:
you mean, your kids, or photos or both?
anyway shooters may want to bounce flash off walls. nice big gentle soft box

Using flash to take photo of my kids. Bounced or softbox won't make much different. Infant eyes are yet to fully developed and "diffused" in nature. By the time they can focus and see things sharply, they are as good as adult eyes.

Normally people will try not to use flash on infants and babies... :bigeyes:

Use natural light instead...

bonrya said:
Normally people will try not to use flash on infants and babies... :bigeyes:

Use natural light instead...

Doesn't matter. The whole "flash will hurt their eyes" thing is a myth.

Rashkae said:
Doesn't matter. The whole "flash will hurt their eyes" thing is a myth.

I didn't say anything about their eyes leh.

I like the skin tone of babies under natural light, that's all. :bsmilie: ESP when u can see the shadows in their little feet. :bsmilie:

I didn't say anything about their eyes leh.

I like the skin tone of babies under natural light, that's all. :bsmilie: ESP when u can see the shadows in their little feet. :bsmilie:

Well yeah, in general for photography, nothing beats natural light IMHO

Agree best to use natural light. The effect of direct flash for portraits is usually just awful, perhaps even more so on an infant. It's not like the infant is going anywhere, got lots of time to get the lighting right.

May be you are using TTL/ETTL mode for your flash, choose manual mode and adjust the power of the flash.
if you are using popup flash, you can try flash exposure compensation to reduse the flash

Sorry if my arguments sounds confusing.
I was never comparing natural light vs flash or which is better.
I'm merely stating facts of flash on infants and my disagreement to the scaremongers.

Here's a picture of my twins, taken with strobe when they were 5 months old. Now that they are always restless and active at 2 yrs old, natural light is the best way to go.

182075_10150096459032319_4850859_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if my arguments sounds confusing.
I was never comparing natural light vs flash or which is better.
I'm merely stating facts of flash on infants and my disagreement to the scaremongers.

Here's a picture of my twins, taking with strobe when they were 5 months old. Now that they are always restless and active at 2 yrs old, natural light is the best way to go.

182075_10150096459032319_4850859_n.jpg

they are cute cute :bsmilie: