Flash & trigger for D5100

NJMES

Jul 7, 2011
Dear all,

I am intending to get a flash that will be compatible with d5100. I was recommended Nissin Di866 MKii & also Nikon SB-700/900 flashes. I decided to go with Nissin since it seems to be the cheaper option and the best bang for the buck.

But further searching on the net i was informed that d5100 dont have high speed sync or don't support it. that is even if the flash has the fuction i can't use it.

I know nuts about wireless flash triggers. Thus, would like to seek advise.

advise will be very much appreciated.

But further searching on the net i was informed that d5100 dont have high speed sync or don't support it. that is even if the flash has the fuction i can't use it.
Do you really need High Speed sync for your situations? If not you can relax and get what you have in mind. Normal triggers will do the job for you.

@ jas1984 : thanks bro its very helpful information.

@Octarine : i can't say till i started playing with it. I can see it come in handy if i can use it for day shoot & also the commander mode which d5100 don't have. so perhaps i should just get di644. So any wireless trigger will do?

So any wireless trigger will do?
Define your needs: If you want to manage the flash from the camera then you will need flash triggers with TTL support. If you set flash power manually (and it seems many people do it this way to have full control without interference of any automatic system) then the normal radio triggers should work fine. Check Mass Sales.

Would like flexibility can strobe & also use as off camera flash for portraits. Prefer to be able to utilise TTL functions, so can shoot on the fly.

May I know what you want to use for the above menton.For what kind of shoot to you intend to shot.

Would like flexibility can strobe & also use as off camera flash for portraits. Prefer to be able to utilise TTL functions, so can shoot on the fly.

Sounds like you need Pocketwizard Flex TT5....

[vid]831L0RvFd2Y[/vid]

Or get the nikon sc28 ttl cable, pocketwizards costs more than your flash unit and we're just talking about the receiver only vice versa (prepare 700 bucks for trans/receivers).

Theres a clone version of sc28, get it for 20-40 bucks. Learn the manual way first and understand how your SS,ape,iso and flash unit works together. Cheers.

Thanks for the advise all. Hua pocket wizard so ex? zzzz. Yah i will learn to use manual control, just wanted the flexibility. Too bad flexibility comes with a price tag.

I think i will take up garbled's advise to get a ttl cable for off camera, and probably a cheap wireless trigger for strobe.

or for less than 100 buck range wireless with receiver/transceiver with no wireless ttl....go for phottix strato2 or cactus? So far the group I go with uses these 2. They're all manual, cheap and the extra recievers are cheap too (in case you bought another flash). good luck!

What is your purpose of wanting off camera flash? What do you intend to shoot?

Thanks garbled .

@ ziploc: Well with off-camera flash can experiment with different light directions. I note that on-camera flash tents to maked subject look flat with or without diffuser. I am newb to this, but i reckon what i read so far kind of makes sense.

Last edited:
The reason why I asked is because your D5100 would be a limiting factor if you want to do advanced flash photography. As you already found out, it doesn't support HSS, and unlike the D7000/D90 it also cannot be used as a flash commander. If you just want to strobe with diffusers (softbox/umbrella etc) then using manual flash would be better. If you want TTL/HSS then you need to have TTL compatibility between the flash and your camera. For bodies that have flash commander built in, you can simply get a Nikon flash to use it off camera and you get full TTL/HSS/CLS. For the D5100, you can still have this capability, but you'll either need to use one on-camera flash or an SU-800 as commander, plus one off camera flash as slave.

And depending on the things you want to shoot, you need different capabilities. For example, if you just want to do strobing at night, you won't need HSS/TTL compatibility, and manual flash will be adequate. But if you want to strobe in daylight as fill flash for portraitures, you'll need HSS (either that or you can use ND filters to open up the shutter speed).

Oic. very helpful insight. Yah i am already seeing the short coming of D5100. Also, yes i would like to be able to shoot in the day, but i reckon ND filters is another way to get around it. My original intention is to shoot off-camera flash for out-door & indoor family portraits, and utilise it as strobe for group outings.

Btw do you mean using SU-800 will enable me to use TTL/HSS/CLS? I know Di866 have iTTL & Commander mode, but HSS capability is wasted on d5100.

What I meant is with SU-800 you get the commander capability. If you attach a Nikon speedlight onto the hotshoe of your D5100 and it doesn't support HSS, then getting it off and connecting to it either via a cable or SU-800 won't get you HSS either, as it is basically limited by your camera body.

Another option would be to upgrade to either a D7000 or a D90. :)

Haha. Thats what my frd told me last night. the BBB virus. I am aware of the limitation, and will trade it off if the limitation be comes more apparent.

For now i reckon still can tahan the no-HSS, since i can get ittl and Commander mode from the di866 flash itself. Well that is on paper listed by Nissin, still need to try it out see if it works with d5100.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. Much appreciated.

Haha. Thats what my frd told me last night. the BBB virus. I am aware of the limitation, and will trade it off if the limitation be comes more apparent.

For now i reckon still can tahan the no-HSS, since i can get ittl and Commander mode from the di866 flash itself. Well that is on paper listed by Nissin, still need to try it out see if it works with d5100.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. Much appreciated.

And to add on, using a TTL hotshoe cord will be very restrictive if you want to do portraits and intend to experiment with light positioning. TTL Cords gets real expensive when they get long, if you even manage to find long ones.

There are some cheaper options for wireless TTL triggers, like Pixel Knight triggers, which cost 200+ a set of transmitter and receiver. Pocketwizards run you close to $300 per piece (transceiver or receiver). But they are hella good. But as good as they are, if you do not know how to use them, you are just wasting cash.