Flash technique, EC and E-TTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tert

Apr 18, 2003
Melbourne
Visit site
I am asked to shoot for a friend's ROM ceremony soon. I have searched previous threads for flash techniques using a bounce card or the omni bounce and the threads have largely been useful.

Just a few questions regarding flash use and ETTL. After reading through the threads, i've decided to use a bounce card for shoots in the waiting area of the ROM and in large indoor spaces and the omni bounce in the confines of the solemnization room. I am a Canon user, using the eos 30/55 and the 420ex. I will be using Fuji 400 or 800 film, shooting in evaluative metering.

1) Would i need to compensate for predominately dark toned or light toned clothes by +/- one stop?

2) Is there a need to FEC in tricky light situations or would the E-TTL provide the proper exposure needed?

3) Is it correct to say that with a bounce card, i tilt the flash head abount 75 deg and with the omni bounce 45 deg?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Regards.

1) When in doubt, always use Flash Exposure Lock (FEL) and compensate accordingly.

2) as above

:p

On Evaluative Metering mode, the camera controls the flash output accordingly. No further compensation is needed unless the EM mode is not working.

Bounce angle as according to your estimation is workable at the ROM. It should work fine.

straight-on flash works well too.sometimes when u are too near the subject and u bounce the flash,u will get uneven illuminations.

first of all, ETTL is not fool proof, trust me i know :(
so use partial metering and link exposure to your speific focusing point.

1) Would i need to compensate for predominately dark toned or light toned clothes by +/- one stop?

yes, since u are shooting film, i suggest u set ur flash to +0.5 stop for the shoot if your shutter speed will not allow sufficient available ambient light.

if it does, no extra flash compensation is needed.

2) Is there a need to FEC in tricky light situations or would the E-TTL provide the proper exposure needed?

FEL is spot on if you have the luxury of time.

3) Is it correct to say that with a bounce card, i tilt the flash head abount 75 deg and with the omni bounce 45 deg?

depends on how far u are from your subject.

Thanks all for your help.

oeyvind: The link is very useful.

Now i can use keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. :)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.