Flash stuck on my Sony A7ii multi-interface hotshoe help.

Richzhart

Aug 17, 2021
cloud 9
TLDR: A friend tried to attach a nikon speedlight(SB-400) to my sony A7ii. Before I realise, it was stuck and the locking latch on the flash broke.

More info : The flash its not fully inserted into the hotshoe, i suspect only the front 2 pins actually made contact with the hotshoe mount. While using a thin sheet of plastic that i slide between the flash and mount, I think i managed to push the pins up but it still wouldn't move.

I know I shouldn't even try to use a nikon flash but I wasn't in control of the camera and I think my friend didn't realise that Sony's hotshoe/multi-interface is different. If possibleI want to remove the flash non-destructively.

Here's what I've tried so far :
forcing it out
wiggling it out
sliding a thin piece of plastic in between to lift locking pin

Anyone out here experience this before? any amount of help or tip is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

The SB-400 has a locking mechanism that usually gets busted. Need to open up the flash and pull the pin.
Forcing to remove may cause more problems.

The SB-400 has a locking mechanism that usually gets busted. Need to open up the flash and pull the pin.
Forcing to remove may cause more problems.
do you know any video or guide on disassembly? thanks for the suggestion!

The flash has a capacitor with high voltage even after a few days the batteries were removed. It has some hidden screws as well, search for the repair manual before dismantling

Reactions: Richzhart