Flash 'shadow' problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Jan 14, 2006
Hi there all experts! hehe:bsmilie:

I need help again..

I dont know if i am the only one with this problem using flash, especially for my indoor shots. The flash actually creates "double vision" or my subject has another outline that is transclucent.

hehe duno if anyone understand my explanation.. can anyone enlighten me on this? Why does it happen? how to prevent it?

thanks in advance!!

Check your shutter speed. Is it too slow and able to record some of your subject movement?

It would help if you can state what was your setting.

Its normal when you use slow shutter speed. If you dun want "double vision" , you'll have to use a faster shutter speed, like 1/60.

OOOoooo shutter speed.. humm sounds logical...

i just realize cos this(double vision) happens @ nite.. where i need slower shutter speed.. :think: hmm maybe when i decided to use flash i forgot abt the shutter part.. heeheheheh

thanks!!!! i'll try it out! :D

Hi ortega!

Actually i had the same idea.

But the only way i thought i can do it, is to post one picture into the clubsnap gallery. Which keeps rejecting my logging in, i think there were a few discussions about it.. but none seem to really have solve the problems. And I yet to have my own gallery to post that pic so... i duno how else can i post up the pictures...

Lain said:
Hi there all experts! hehe:bsmilie:

I need help again..

I dont know if i am the only one with this problem using flash, especially for my indoor shots. The flash actually creates "double vision" or my subject has another outline that is transclucent.

hehe duno if anyone understand my explanation.. can anyone enlighten me on this? Why does it happen? how to prevent it?

thanks in advance!!
You're using slow sync or rear curtain sync, are you?

actually i dont use rear curtains cos i do not know when is it needed.. i only know that it comes on after the picture has been taken or something like tat.. but i dont understand how rear curtain can be useful.. as for slow sync is it avaliable for external flash? maybe someone can enlighten me on this too??

heheeh pai seh ah.. only a newbie here alot of things i tried reading up but still dont fully understand..

oh ya armadillo.. i signed up for photo bucket to realise that the pic was deleted by me alr! :sweat: so cant show u all le.. hahahaah i've got others but they feature kids instead objects and I dare not release them..

Lain said:
...as for slow sync is it avaliable for external flash? maybe someone can enlighten me on this too??QUOTE]

Usually, the slow sync setting (or rear curtain sync) has to be enabled on the camera and not the external flash.

Slow sync basically means firing the flash at a slow shutter speed so that ambient light illuminates the background while the flash freezes (or attempts to freeze) the subject (foreground).

You are probably shooting in auto which usse a slow shutter in low light. Try shooting in TV and up the shutter speed to say 1/100 to freeze your subject.

lomographix said:
You are probably shooting in auto which usse a slow shutter in low light. Try shooting in TV and up the shutter speed to say 1/100 to freeze your subject.

Do you mean flash in auto mode? if its camera mode i used mannual...

I tried to use take pictures in auto mode and it looks better than my mannual mode but it some how pictures taken in auto mode always look flat... i duno y... as in not attractive.. lifeless.. i wonder if its got to do with the lens cos my fren's pic is always so life-like.. but she's got lotsa lens which i'm still trying out my skills on the kit lens..

I have another Q TV mode... is the aperture priority one?

Lain said:
Do you mean flash in auto mode? if its camera mode i used mannual...

I tried to use take pictures in auto mode and it looks better than my mannual mode but it some how pictures taken in auto mode always look flat... i duno y... as in not attractive.. lifeless.. i wonder if its got to do with the lens cos my fren's pic is always so life-like.. but she's got lotsa lens which i'm still trying out my skills on the kit lens..

I have another Q TV mode... is the aperture priority one?
Tv = shutter priority
Av = aperture priority

use Tv instead of manual unless you really want full control. letting the cam decide the fstop in Tv mode is easier

Status
Not open for further replies.