flash setting

alf6901

Oct 2, 2006
hi i am using canon 50D and nissin di866 flash. how am i going to change the shutter sync to 2nd curtain? my setting for shutter sync is grey out, unable to change. can any expert please advise? thanks

Usually you will do this in the camera, via Custom Functions. But maybe 50D is different from my model.
In which mode are you? Not all settings are accessible in the Auto mode and in all Basic Modes (e.g. landscape, portrait etc.).

hi octarine, thanks for your reply. i set my camera to manual, AV and TV mode but still unable to change the shutter sync.

i have no issue to change the shutter sync for the built in flash when i removed the external flash.

hi octarine, thanks for your reply. i set my camera to manual, AV and TV mode but still unable to change the shutter sync.
i have no issue to change the shutter sync for the built in flash when i removed the external flash.

Then it seems to be a compatibility issue with the flash. The camera does not recognize the flash and its capabilities. Seems you need to set '2nd curtain' on the flash itself. You can try indoors, any moving person and a shutter speed of 1/30s should clearly show the effect of 2nd curtain.
Had something similar with my EOS5 (film) and 430EX. Had to set '2nd curtain' on the flash. It's just one button. You can download the manual from Canon US website.

hi thanks, i found the issue already. :thumbsup:

shouldnt have any problem. i am using 50d with 866...

seems tt u found the issue... so what actually happen? o_O

i thought i have to change the setting in the camera. but i found out that i have to manual change the TTL setting of the flash to 2nd curtain, then the display on the camera will change from 1st to 2nd..haha

oh i get what u mean... yeap for 3rd party all got to set from the flash itself.

one thing i dont like abt the flash is that when i dont need flash i got to hold onto the off button before it turns off or turn on... canon's easier to turn on n off. but well, for the amt paid i cant ask for much :)