Flash Selection Question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

elninowt

Jul 20, 2004
Hi guys...

have a question regarding what flash to buy....

have been shooting for quite some time and had some experiences shooting events with a friends 420EX...

Now i'm looking to buy one of my own... Currently deciding between canon's offerings...

- Speedlight 430EX
- Speedlight 580EX
- Speedlight 550EX (2nd hand maybe)

Anyone has any comments regarding their performances and their pros and cons? like refresh rates?

Thanks....

yup... events and ocassions mainly.. maybe some weddings.....

what are some of the extras on the 580??

580EX have a longer flash range, faster recycle times, more custom features and manual functions. 580EX is the only EX series of speedlites to offer a built-in bounce card.

But if you really want speed, go for the 550ex.
Basically, there are a lot of improvements of the 580ex over the 430ex.But the problem here is if you need these functions or not.

JediForce4ever said:
But if you really want speed, go for the 550ex.
Basically, there are a lot of improvements of the 580ex over the 430ex.But the problem here is if you need these functions or not.
I thought get 580EX for speed??

mmm.. cool....

So if i'm on a budget, i guess the 430EX would be the best choice...

i know that there's like white balance settings on the the 580EX... anyone have any experience with that?

I have had the 420EX before. Used it for a couple of weddings. Always had problems with the recycling speed, esp if bounce flash is used frequently as in the cases of wedding shoots.

I got the 580ex and the only question was why didn't i get the flash earlier? The recycling speed was much faster. And since it's a more powerful flash. It could cope better when i use bounce flash.

I have not used a 430ex before but going by guide no. alone. I would definitely pick the 580ex over a 430ex. If budget is a problem, i suggest u wait till u have enough cash and buy the 580ex instead of the 430ex.. coz as u are gonna shoot more weddings in future, my gut feeling is that u will want to upgrade eventually. And u will end up losing money selling and buying.

Flash is one piece of equipment that one should not save money on. The reason why i don't recommend a 550ex is due to it's age. It has been replaced by the 580ex for a while now. And flashes are not like lenses. They don't show signs of damage as easily as a piece of glass.

Can try getting a grey set from TCW, with shop warranty. Got mine at $690.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sometimes i use bounce flash on my 420EX and the recycle time is almost instant. Other than that it'll take a while as i'm using alkalines with it.

Snoweagle said:
Sometimes i use bounce flash on my 420EX and the recycle time is almost instant. Other than that it'll take a while as i'm using alkalines with it.

It depends on the output of the flash required. Low ceilings/brighter ambient conditions mean that less powerful output needed, so recycle times can be near instantaneous.

solarii said:
It depends on the output of the flash required. Low ceilings/brighter ambient conditions mean that less powerful output needed, so recycle times can be near instantaneous.

That's not what i meant. Even in open spaces i bounce upwards is also the same result.

I'd say go for the 580ex.
Faster recycle time, which you may need for events.
And offers you the option to use a CP-e3 to power the flash, more flashes and faster recharge rate.

JediForce4ever said:
I'd say go for the 580ex.
Faster recycle time, which you may need for events.
And offers you the option to use a CP-e3 to power the flash, more flashes and faster recharge rate.

550EX also have this option.

elninowt said:
So if i'm on a budget, i guess the 430EX would be the best choice...

Criteria #1 should be, does the equipment fit your needs.
Therefore buy 430EX if it fits your needs. Else why spend the money at all!?

There are some WTR postings which you may consider too.

Status
Not open for further replies.