flash recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron001

Sep 29, 2004
serangoon area
Hi guys.....would like to get some recommendation on flash. I don't really need high end stuff like 580ex or maybe not even 550ex as i don't think i'll use it that often as like most event photographers do. However i'll like something good enough to cover events too, preferbly with good auto mode so that i can just concentrate on the shooting part...i'm actually looking at the mid range or better Metz flash, pls advice.

From what you've described here, I think you are a Canon EOS user. Correct me if I'm wrong. What Canon body are you using?

You might not want to compromise on lighting if you wish to shoot events; not all events are held in the presence of good proper lighting conditions. The advice is to go for the highest end, but that might put a strain on your low budget.

These are some recommendations of my own opinion. They are at least 2nd (or lower) in line to the top end in each range...

1) Canon Speedlite 550EX or the older 540EZ
2) Metz mecablitz 54 MZ3 with SCA 3102/M2 or 311 adapter
3) Metz mecablitz 44 AF-4C
4) Metz mecablitz 40 MZ3i or MZ2 with SCA 3102/M2 or 311 adapter
5) Metz mecablitz 36 AF-3C
6) Metz mecablitz 32 MZ3 with SCA 3102/M2 or 311 adapter

Some models may not be available in Singapore.
In fact, I'm waiting for a shipment from an ebay seller in Germany of his Metz 32 MZ3 flash unit.
Even though the 40 MZ3i is still available in 2nd hand shops in Singapore, I didn't like its bulkiness which is on all sides. Very difficult to fit it in your camera bag if you have many stuff to carry.

Some metz links you might want to check out on your own...
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/flashlights_digital.140.html
http://www.metz.de/data/sca_archiv_eng/archiv_neue_mbs_head.html

i was indeed thinking of getting the metz 44 but they have different versions....mz and Af ? so wats the diff? and in what ways are the 54s better than the 44s? recycling time? range? functions and metering? sorry, i'm quite a dope when it comes to flash.

aaron001 said:
i was indeed thinking of getting the metz 44 but they have different versions....mz and Af ? so wats the diff? and in what ways are the 54s better than the 44s? recycling time? range? functions and metering? sorry, i'm quite a dope when it comes to flash.
Metz 44 AF series are dedicated flash units, which means each are built for a particular brand. Eg, 44 AF-3C for Canon, AF-3N for Nikon, etc.

Metz 44 MZ series can use SCA adapters suited for different brands, which means that you just need to buy eg. Nikon SCA adapter and fit it to the main flash unit for use with Nikon hot-shoe mounted cameras. With this unit, you can also buy Canon SCA adapter for it so as to use it for Canon cameras.

CP currently sell the Metz 44 AF series and the 54 MZ4. You might still be able to find the older Metz 40 AF series or 54 MZ3 at 2nd hand shops. The Metz 44 series can only tilt vertically but not horizontally, and its got less GN power than the Metz 54 MZ series.

You may want to consider having a second hand 550EX. Just to let you know that the EZ series of Speedlites don't work with DSLRs.

A 420EX doesn't have the power of a 550EX but then again it's way cheaper. You should balance out your needs (how often you shoot events) against your affordable budget.

you will appreciate the power. get the most powerful flash you can afford. i reckon that the canon speedlites will work more easily with your canon camera... so that solves your need for something auto...

Status
Not open for further replies.