Flash, rechargeable AAs, keep in dry cabi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyboy

Oct 15, 2007
Can't seem to find the answer to this, pardon me if I am not skilled in searching but i tried

flash dry box

flash stor* (wildcard, if that works)

so do we need to keep the flash in dry cabi? rechargeable batts (or spare lithium batts as well)?

currently i only know that I should store glass in the dry cabi in case of fungus. for the other stuff, not sure how fungus will affect them.

in fact, i think film camera dun really need to store in drybox right? for DSLR, fungus can grow on the sensor (if not, pls correct me on this)

i'm not exactly new to photography, but quite new to CS and this is probably a noob question so posting it in this section

i keep everything inside, flash, AA batteries as well... :)

i'd prefer to keep what doesn't need to be "dryboxed" in my bag, or wherever. my dry cabi got some ancient binoculars n even cassette tapes.. LOL

i threw out what i could, but the space is still limited. i could make room for my flash but i rather not, both for space reasons as well as convenience ;)

but if flash SHOULD be dryboxed then yessiree i will do just that

Last edited:
Fungus grows wherever there are certain conditions met: humidity, warmth and organic material to live from. Organic material is sweat as well as dust and other (sometimes microscopic small) particles. Lenses are to be kept inside because you can't easily clean them and fungus will affect and destroy the coating of glass. Filters are easier to clean but still: once the fungus has eaten into the coating you can throw it.
For all other equipment the question goes: How likely is it that they get affected by fungus? How easily can you keep it clean? Cameras catch fungus in the same way as lenses. Since it's airborne fungus can reach all corners, not just the sensor. You better keep all cameras inside as well.
For all the rest I don't see any big risk: either you can easily clean it (batteries, flash) or you need to clean it from time to time anyway (neck strap). But I prefer to have most of my stuff inside the dry cabinet just to know where everything is.
No harm to put batteries inside. Just in case you are paranoid about Lithium Battery Fireworks (as seen with some cheapo handphone batteries) you better keep them outside.

thanx for the very helpful replies!

to be safe, i keep my film body inside too =)

Flash can leave inside.. but I prefer to keep batteries outside.

the flash does not NEED to be kept inside the dry cabi
the only thing you need to do is to remove the batteries to prevent leakage

the flash does not NEED to be kept inside the dry cabi
the only thing you need to do is to remove the batteries to prevent leakage

i thought i read somewhere on CS that shd leave the batteries inside to protect the circuitry :dunno:

lets say i don't shoot everyday, but i'll use the flash at very least once a week. will the batteries still leak? i use NiMh

i thought i read somewhere on CS that shd leave the batteries inside to protect the circuitry :dunno:
What do you mean by that? What do you want to protect there? The only battery you should always keep inside the camera is the little one for date / time settings. All other batteries can be removed without any problems for the electronic circuits.

lets say i don't shoot everyday, but i'll use the flash at very least once a week. will the batteries still leak? i use NiMh

What do you mean by "leak"? Alkaline batteries will leak once they are discharged fully. Which means: the chemicals inside will come out and seriously damage your equipment. But nowadays hardly anybody uses such batteries anymore (only as last backup if all rechargeable batteries fail / are empty). NiMH potentially can also leak but I haven't seen anything like that. Newer type Lithium batteries don't leak - they start a nasty firework once they leak and the Lithium gets in contact with Oxygen. Check the stories about HP batteries made in China.
Leak can also mean a slow discharging without usage. All batteries leak, some more and some less. Those that leak less are very useful if you don't shoot every day. Temperature affects the performance of batteries, easy to see on Winter holiday.

roger that.. can't seem to find the one post which suggested keeping the batteries in the flash, but found a whole lot of others which said to remove the batteries. so i'll go with that. thanx!!

Status
Not open for further replies.