Flash question

xAndreadx

Oct 22, 2009
hello all,

am still an amateur but i find myself needing a flash unit SOMETIMES (30%), situations like taking portraits with the bg well exposed but the face under exposed, as well as indoor usage (i usually have the bump the ISO to at least >800 to avoid blur).

looking at the 430ex II but it's quite pricey (john 3:16 - $480). my question is, is it necessary to get a flash unit now and learn to use it along with the camera? and do you, who are more experienced in photography, find that flash unit will become a necessity down the road for a budding hobbyist?

thanks

hello all,

am still an amateur but i find myself needing a flash unit SOMETIMES (30%), situations like taking portraits with the bg well exposed but the face under exposed, as well as indoor usage (i usually have the bump the ISO to at least >800 to avoid blur).

looking at the 430ex II but it's quite pricey (john 3:16 - $480). my question is, is it necessary to get a flash unit now and learn to use it along with the camera? and do you, who are more experienced in photography, find that flash unit will become a necessity down the road for a budding hobbyist?

thanks

"to flash or not to flash?"... that is the budding question on every potential flashers' mind... ;p

but really... whether or not you use a flash is totally dependent on your shooting style. I haven't really used my flash unit in a while, as I've been shooting more landscapes recently.

If you're the type that bought a DSLR camera to take family photos like your kids growing up, you'll probably want get a flash as most of the time it's indoors and usually at night. For outdoors, where background is bright, a pop up might be sufficient.

Just my opinion.

hello all,

thanks

How about the 270EX or 380EX?Both are cheaper:)

If you have a tripod, use it.

If you're talking about the long run, an external flash unit is always good to have.

I seldom flash..(both camera and me..:bsmilie:)...plus I am some1 who is totally reluctant to spend too much on something I only use occasionally..thus I bought a manual strobe for around 60+...no TTL, no zoom head but I am very happy using it to bounce the ceiling...so powerful... ;p

thanks for all the replies. think i'll hold off until i really find that what i shoot and the situation i shoot in usually requires an external flash. i do have a tripod but it's rather heavy to carry out in casual outings. use it mostly for night landscapes

thanks for all the replies. think i'll hold off until i really find that what i shoot and the situation i shoot in usually requires an external flash. i do have a tripod but it's rather heavy to carry out in casual outings. use it mostly for night landscapes

actually there are some technique to use the inbuilt flash too...probably can use it until you find that it can no longer accomodate what you are after before buying?

If cost is an issue, why not get a 3rd party brand of flash?
Nissin Di 622 flash cost about $200 - $220.
It should fit your needs.

If you have a tripod, use it.

A tripod does not replace a flash - when it comes to events indoors - esp esp people in low light

you can reduce shake - but you cannot stop people from moving at 1/20 ish kind of shutter speed. Plus, ISO will be 800~1600. Not nice at all...

and built-in flash with our without light mods is still too limiting >.<

Hence..time to invest in one!

hello all,

... situations like taking portraits with the bg well exposed but the face under exposed, as well as indoor usage (i usually have the bump the ISO to at least >800 to avoid blur).

Base on this, I will opt for flash which will be more practical.

Hi TS,

Would suggest getting a 3rd party flash like Nissin i622 (~$220) or i866 (~$430).
Your lens will be challenging to used at night or indoors. You will find an external flash gives you more pictures you can keep which is the whole point of having a camera.

Flash will free you of many constraint, especially in times of low/no available light.
Do get it early if budget allows :)

thanks all for the comments. decided to take the plunge and get the 430exII tomorrow! have been reading countless flash photography articles for the past few days, especially http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/, killer but useful website. share for those who aren't aware.

can't wait

thanks all for the comments. decided to take the plunge and get the 430exII tomorrow! have been reading countless flash photography articles for the past few days, especially http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/, killer but useful website. share for those who aren't aware.

can't wait

alamak, that website already put up as sticky in canon sub forum liao lor.:bsmilie:

Last edited:

can't wait
good luck! All the best!

i might have lobang to cheap alternatives but high grade flashes. personal assurance. drop me a pm loh.