FLASH Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphik

Jul 1, 2007
CCK
Hi there, i am a newbie with a Canon 400D, who needs advices.
I was thinking to get a flash, and i have checked out the speedlite series, 220/430/580..etc they are out of my budget of $300... Is there any other brands of flash that can go together with this camera?

A 2nd hand 420 EX should be around $250 if you dun mind 2nd hand .. check out the BNS section

If you don't need it urgently, better to save up a while longer and get it. That way you'll have less regrets than having to compromise due to budget constraints, then looking back and saying, "wish I paid that bit more to get a good flash".

That said, a Speedlite is not absolutely necessary for casual shooting; learn to control your built-in flash, unless you really need the power from a Speedlite. You may end up finding that the built-in flash is good enough for your needs, and then that's more money saved. ;)

Curious may I know what is the main advantage for the 580 over 430 model?

More powerful output, head swivels 180º both ways, whereas on the 430EX, it swivels 180º left, 90º right.

More powerful output, head swivels 180º both ways, whereas on the 430EX, it swivels 180º left, 90º right.

In addition to that, can act as master in a multiple slave setup (430EX only acts as slave) and can use external battery pack for faster recharging / extra capacity. 580EX has pull-out catchlight reflector panel. The controls are different - the 580EX dial is easier to operate.

580ex mkll has got a common problem that canon dont want to admit. search the web.

Thanks for the info, question for the 430EX's slave flash does that means that the camera flash had to be fired first?

Why not use a name card whose back completely white in color.... free, simple & you don't need to worry of it getting lost.

Thanks for the info, question for the 430EX's slave flash does that means that the camera flash had to be fired first?

No, a slave flash is an off camera flash triggered remotely / wirelessly by a master flash. The camera's built-in flash cannot function as master (unfortunately). You'll need a 580EX or ST-E2 for that.

The 430EX can function as a normal hot shoe flash, or as a slave flash. The 580EX can function as a normal hot shoe flash, a master, and a slave flash.

If you are not considering a multiple flash setup, there is no difference between a 430EX and a 580EX (other than what is listed in above posts). And you can always get a 430EX now and use it as a hot shoe flash, then get a 580EX and use that as master when you need more than one flash.

Why not use a name card whose back completely white in color.... free, simple & you don't need to worry of it getting lost.

Are you referring to the catchlight reflector panel? It's attached to the camera, you'll have to yank it out real hard to detatch it from the camera (you're not supposed to). No reason not to use a business card and rubber band, it's just a convenience and a nice touch.

580ex mkll has got a common problem that canon dont want to admit. search the web.

Can you elaborate? Are you referring to the overheating under heavy use issue? I did search but did not find anything conclusive.

One issue I found is with the Mk I beamwidth that has been fixed in later production (after 2006) models.

No, a slave flash is an off camera flash triggered remotely / wirelessly by a master flash. The camera's built-in flash cannot function as master (unfortunately). You'll need a 580EX or ST-E2 for that.

The 430EX can function as a normal hot shoe flash, or as a slave flash. The 580EX can function as a normal hot shoe flash, a master, and a slave flash.

If you are not considering a multiple flash setup, there is no difference between a 430EX and a 580EX (other than what is listed in above posts). And you can always get a 430EX now and use it as a hot shoe flash, then get a 580EX and use that as master when you need more than one flash.

Are you referring to the catchlight reflector panel? It's attached to the camera, you'll have to yank it out real hard to detatch it from the camera (you're not supposed to). No reason not to use a business card and rubber band, it's just a convenience and a nice touch.

would like to add that both 550ex and 580ex mkl also can be use as master or slave.

Can you elaborate? Are you referring to the overheating under heavy use issue? I did search but did not find anything conclusive.

One issue I found is with the Mk I beamwidth that has been fixed in later production (after 2006) models.

pls refer to this

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355530&highlight=580ex+hot+shoe

but the site that shows how he rectify the problem has been removed. now cant see this step by step photo.

Just went there - the article and photos are still visible. ;)

i'd wait till i have enough for a 580 (which i am after a few months ago when i first wanted to buy a flash)

hmmm wah... so chim... I have hind the advise on seeking a 2nd hand one.. but not much pple selling flash..... haiz..

but i dono if i wan to save a few more months to get a 580.. coz i don really know how to control it.... Should a newbie like me get a brand new flash or juz get a 2nd hand and test out how it feels then upgrade to a better flash like 580.....? :embrass:

coz i have been shooting using the camera's flash n its not good.. i shoot mostly for fren's events like dance competitions and performances...

The Canon flashes are good, but if you are on a tight budget and wanna try out flashes. The Sigma 530 ST is the go. If not 530 DG Super.

To be frank they are not consistent at times when the flash is not fully charged. It is a good start though. And later sell as second hand for an upgrade would be good.

The Canon flashes are good, but if you are on a tight budget and wanna try out flashes. The Sigma 530 ST is the go. If not 530 DG Super.

To be frank they are not consistent at times when the flash is not fully charged. It is a good start though. And later sell as second hand for an upgrade would be good.

How much are these flashes priced at?:)

I must say that one should never ever purchase something with the mentality that 'you can sell it later'.

Status
Not open for further replies.