Flash Question for Minolta Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have understand, the new digital cameras from Minolta(7D and 5D) is fully compatible with the newer flash like the 5600HS. They also need to be used in conjunction with "D" lenses. I am user of film camera D7 and is considering to change to digital. My current setup includes a 28-70mm lens,20mm lens , 105mm lens and 5400HS flash. If I am doing the changeover,

1. Is it neccessary to get a "D" lens with the 5600HS?
2. If I'm buying the 5600HS at a later date, can the 5400HS give accurate exposure with the digital body?
3. What wider angle lenses is recommended since there is a crop factor with digital?

-Danny :dunno:

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
1. not necessary.... not every lens is D yet, for eg, 50mm not D...
2. Nope... u can only do manual with 5400, tried & tested
3. 17-35, from KM, cheap & good...

TME

Jan 19, 2002
Clementi
Just a note, the 5600HS(D) is actually a very old flash system... hence it does not always work very well with the 7D... but it works... u might want to wait for PMA 2006 in Feb to find out where KM is headed...

Thanks for the replies guys..

Got some more questions..

If the 5400 flash works only in manual mode for 7D, wouldn't it be quite difficult to work it if I'm going to use it in event shoot?

If "D" lenses is not used in conjunction with the 5600 flash, doesn't it just behave like the 5400 then? I wonder why Minolta don't make 7D fully compatible with the 5400..

hpleong

Dec 20, 2004
Singapore
I set mine to auto and it works fine. In fact I am still using the 3500xi flash with my 7D....works fine...............

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
dannynys said:
Thanks for the replies guys..

Got some more questions..

If the 5400 flash works only in manual mode for 7D, wouldn't it be quite difficult to work it if I'm going to use it in event shoot?

If "D" lenses is not used in conjunction with the 5600 flash, doesn't it just behave like the 5400 then? I wonder why Minolta don't make 7D fully compatible with the 5400..
If lenses is not D, i think it will just disable the ADI, and use Preflash, (i think, but i think not too... cos i set to ADI once, without a D lens, and the flash did not shoot a preflash...evidence from studio flashes), its still practically the same as u just set to preflash...

anyway, y would minolta kill themselves by making a old flash work on the new 1, then ppl won't be buying a 5600... besides, 5600 is an old generation flash vs SB800 & 580EX

Status
Not open for further replies.