Flash problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jOhO

Apr 20, 2003
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
Hi all,

having quite alot of problems with my flash on my cam, using an s2 with an sb80dx. sometimes the flash will fire but the recorded frame is dark, meaning it's like it didn't flash at all.. it's like a hit and miss thing. sometimes it flashes and works, sometimes flashes but dark frame (sync problem) sometimes it doesn't flash at all, when it supposed to.

so i was pretty damn pissed off.. tried using REAR SYNC and since i was using wide, i put my shutter down to 1/20 or 1/30... and the flash worked EVERY SINGLE TIME.... properly exposed and even managed to get background in since the shutter was slow!

sync problem?? *sigh* i believe it sounds like more a flash problem then the cam?? HOPeFULLY??? haha the flash is more "easily" replaced than the cam... :confused:

any of u had similar problems, and can share wat happened and how to fix? thanx in advance!

jOhO said:
Hi all,

having quite alot of problems with my flash on my cam, using an s2 with an sb80dx. sometimes the flash will fire but the recorded frame is dark, meaning it's like it didn't flash at all.. it's like a hit and miss thing. sometimes it flashes and works, sometimes flashes but dark frame (sync problem) sometimes it doesn't flash at all, when it supposed to.

so i was pretty damn pissed off.. tried using REAR SYNC and since i was using wide, i put my shutter down to 1/20 or 1/30... and the flash worked EVERY SINGLE TIME.... properly exposed and even managed to get background in since the shutter was slow!

sync problem?? *sigh* i believe it sounds like more a flash problem then the cam?? HOPeFULLY??? haha the flash is more "easily" replaced than the cam... :confused:

any of u had similar problems, and can share wat happened and how to fix? thanx in advance!

Joho,

When you took those shots were they with a fresh set of batteries?

coke21 said:
Joho,

When you took those shots were they with a fresh set of batteries?
yeah.. happens when batts are weak or strong... i know it's definitely not batt problems.. unless ALL 7 sets of my batts have probs? ;p

but seriously, not the batts.. when i use rear sync the shots come out awesome.. properly exposed, all the time, everytime (unless when i'm too close to the subject). but when i DON'T use rear sync, getting the flash to work is like trying to strike 4d without buying the numbers... :bsmilie: ok lah.. not so bad but ... it's irritating man.

Bub, let's meet up, I wanna see and try, mabbe we can get something done. :)

jOhO said:
yeah.. happens when batts are weak or strong... i know it's definitely not batt problems.. unless ALL 7 sets of my batts have probs? ;p

but seriously, not the batts.. when i use rear sync the shots come out awesome.. properly exposed, all the time, everytime (unless when i'm too close to the subject). but when i DON'T use rear sync, getting the flash to work is like trying to strike 4d without buying the numbers... :bsmilie: ok lah.. not so bad but ... it's irritating man.

Yup, definitely irritating when your equipment does not perform the way you want it to... maybe you can borrow another SB80 and try on your camera, that way you can isolate the problem. Either a flash or camera prob?

Hi,

a) What was your shutter speed for those shots that did not turn out right?
b) For those shots were you attempting a series of shot in sucession with omni bounce on and at low ISO?

Maybe you can post the exif data for some of the shots.

Cheers

coke21 said:
Yup, definitely irritating when your equipment does not perform the way you want it to... maybe you can borrow another SB80 and try on your camera, that way you can isolate the problem. Either a flash or camera prob?
yeah was thinking of that... borrow and sb800 to test also can.. hor espn? :lovegrin: :sweatsm:

sent the cam in with the flash for fuji to test it yesterday... waiting for them to get back to me... need them to check a slight battery problem for me too. *sigh*

my coolpix NEVER gave me problems... :confused: :lovegrin:

Let me know if you want to test it on your cam ;) no issues, maybe I can tempt you with some other stuffs also :lovegrin:

espn said:
Let me know if you want to test it on your cam ;) no issues, maybe I can tempt you with some other stuffs also :lovegrin:
oooh!! the evilness!!~~~~~~~

:lovegrin: :lovegrin:

btw, when's our rendezvous man? eheh my "subject" is a little hesitant.. but very ripe.. :devil: :devil:

i've been too busy to do anything man.. suxxxx. last time when i bought my cp5700 i was super CBL.. everyday go out and shoot, now got new cam, not only no time to shoot, but got slight irritating problems when i do. kaozzzz...

Must let me know when, I don't carry it walking around all day you know :bsmilie: Maybe I can get Watcher/SykesTang/AJ23 out to tempt you as well :devil:

CP5700 never give you problems? Nvm lah it's like that one.. when free just shoot more!

See... told you to get a Nikon...

espn said:
Must let me know when, I don't carry it walking around all day you know :bsmilie: Maybe I can get Watcher/SykesTang/AJ23 out to tempt you as well :devil:

CP5700 never give you problems? Nvm lah it's like that one.. when free just shoot more!

See... told you to get a Nikon...
haha well the cam is gonna sit at fuji for the rest of the week... maybe next week lor.. or maybe it'll be fixed or maybe the NIKON flash is going kaput... :sweat:

Hi Joho. I am thinking S2 uses TTL flash. While SB80DX is a D-TTL flash. So maybe if you disable the D-TTL mode (if possible) and use it like a TTL flash on S2, then problem might be solved. Just my thoughts. If it works let me know, as i don't have SB80DX to try. :D

serendipity said:
Hi Joho. I am thinking S2 uses TTL flash. While SB80DX is a D-TTL flash. So maybe if you disable the D-TTL mode (if possible) and use it like a TTL flash on S2, then problem might be solved. Just my thoughts. If it works let me know, as i don't have SB80DX to try. :D

SB80dx when mount on S2pro would not have DTTL option, by default it will be ttl already.

joho, did you make sure that the SB80dx is properly connected to the camera?, cause after some usuage the flash but not hit all the contacts of the cam, i,e ttl is not working.

I do have probs with s2pro using flash (in terms of exposure), but getting pitch black n not firing when it supposed to is weild.

Btw, do update us on what happened to the cam, and if convient help me check out, abt how many shots is the S2 supposed to shoot wo preview wo the CR123 batts, and if mine is less then 100, is there any serious prob w the camera.

thanks.

I've not heard of S2 users having problems with the SB-80DX, most of the shots are quite nicely exposed, are you trying to to multiple shots firing within a short frame? If so likely that's the cause.

Else the flash might have a lemon.

espn said:
I've not heard of S2 users having problems with the SB-80DX, most of the shots are quite nicely exposed, are you trying to to multiple shots firing within a short frame? If so likely that's the cause.

Else the flash might have a lemon.

if you mean multiple shot which result in flash no time to recharge to full power then no.

humm, tat's interesting, as in contractly, a few of my friend using S2 face flash exposure probs too, well, it is still in the limits of error and usable, but it jus not spot on accurate. Same thing, with my limited use of flash on D100, i also feel that the flash is not as accurate as it would be compare to using the Sb80dx on a film camera like F80 or F100.

well, it might jus be my prob =(

cheers.

Jus_a_Nick said:
if you mean multiple shot which result in flash no time to recharge to full power then no.

humm, tat's interesting, as in contractly, a few of my friend using S2 face flash exposure probs too, well, it is still in the limits of error and usable, but it jus not spot on accurate. Same thing, with my limited use of flash on D100, i also feel that the flash is not as accurate as it would be compare to using the Sb80dx on a film camera like F80 or F100.

well, it might jus be my prob =(

cheers.

I use both the D100 and F80 with the SB80. No problems at all.

Well, the film cameras meter off the film to get the TTL reading for flash, for digital bodies, that's where the various terms E-TTL, E-TTL II, D-TTL, i-TTL comes in. It's not exactly perfect in it's calculations, but still ok, I hardly get much problems although sometimes it does (like you mention) go cuckoo.

espn said:
Well, the film cameras meter off the film to get the TTL reading for flash, for digital bodies, that's where the various terms E-TTL, E-TTL II, D-TTL, i-TTL comes in. It's not exactly perfect in it's calculations, but still ok, I hardly get much problems although sometimes it does (like you mention) go cuckoo.

correct but it is frustrating to have it fail you at times when you need it ,anywei tat's hope tat flash tech would improve with the new tech and one day it would work as well as the film days, I have always believe in nikon flash system, cheers for nikon. Anywei i think we are getting too much OT, lets hope joho cam be back and work well. =p

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.