Flash problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dextorian

Mar 6, 2003
Jurong, Singapore
Visit site
Hi guys,

Hope to get some pointers regarding flash photography.

I took some pictures the other night but the slides developed show only half exposed. PLease tell me why. I am using a FM3A with setting 1/250 at f/2.8. I am using a SB80DX with TTL settings at a speed of 1/60.

Thanks in advance.

Dexter

maybe the syn speed of your nikon is not 1/250 but is lower...thats why u get only half of the film expose by the flash

the syn speed of a camera cannot be changed...

it depends on the camera body, usually is 1/125 or 1/60... some high end models can go up to 1/250.... and with Minolta HSS it can go even higher

ok, so to sum up. Do you mean that I set a speed of 1/125 on the camera, set the flash to TTL at a speed of 1/125 too?? Can I use a slower spped for the flash, like 1/60 or something like that?? how about the f setting?? For distance objects, should I use f2.8 or fix it at f5.6-f8??

Dexter

Every cam has its own maximum sync speed, check the manual, it will give you an idea what is that speed.

i not sure wht u mean by setting shutter speeds on the flash...from what i know there isnt any shutter speeds settings on the flash.

sure u can use any shutter speeds that is lower than the syn speed.

the thing that control the amount of light entering is the aperature setting. But it also depends on the flashput/guide no of yr camera (usually hgher guide no means higher output)... so if yr flash got enough power to light up the subject, u can use a smaller aperature

if you are using ttl, the f stop shouldn't really matter except for the desired depth of field and remember that the shutter speed controls the amount of ambient light getting through to the film while the f-stop controls the amount of flash output....:)

The f-stop limits the maximum flash output. The actual amount of flash is variable depending on the TTL metering.

Also using small apertures will result in darker backgrounds unless you decrease the shutter speed.

Hey guys, thanks for the response.

One LAST QUESTION.....

So, on the flash, should I set f2.8 for objects about 3m away?? Speed 1/125 with a speed of 1/125 on the camera???

Dexter

again, if you are using ttl, the aperture should not matter, unless you are shooting at distant objects and the aperture will limit the maximum distance.

remember your GN calculation or more conveniently, check your flash - it should have a diagramatic guide for aperture and corresponding min/max distance. Only if you set your flash to full manual will you have to worry about matching distance to the aperture....

Status
Not open for further replies.