Flash Photography

indomie

Jan 1, 2009
Hi all,

I am learning on how to use my built-in flash.

In order to create non-dull image by using flash, we need to reduce the shutter speed so that the when the flash light went off, the shutter is still open and the ambient light still have time to go in to the sensor.

But by reducing the shutter speed, it will create blur effect if the object is moving quite fast. My question is how do we create non-dull and non-blur image ?

*dull-image = image created by using auto-mode.

Thank you.

Regards,
Anderson

can set flash to "slow-sync" so image "non-dull" at least

How about using flash diffuser? The main reason of dull images is the brightness of the face in contrast to the underexposed surrounding. diffusing the light will help to balance this. But built-in flashes have low power, the range is limited. Don't expect to light up a room, but for portraits on short distances the little flash + diffuser work well.
In addition you can increase ISO. The camera will adjust flash accordingly.
Analyze what the Auto-Mode is doing with regards to flash. This also varies between cameras.

Hi all,

In order to create non-dull image by using flash, we need to reduce the shutter speed so that the when the flash light went off, the shutter is still open and the ambient light still have time to go in to the sensor.

But by reducing the shutter speed, it will create blur effect if the object is moving quite fast. My question is how do we create non-dull and non-blur image ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Anderson

Increase your ISO and use the slow-sync flash mode. This will allow your camera to capture more ambient light after the flash at a slightly faster shutter speed. However, increasing ISO will reduce your dynamic range and of course introduce more noise.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank you.

Regards,
Anderson

Hi Anderson,

first of all, the built-in flash is pretty weak in terms of guide number and will not suffice to throw sufficient light for longer distances. It's generally good only for close-ups of about 2 to 3 metres.

What you wish for is a balance between the subject and the background, right? So as to achieve a properly exposed BG with a suitably exposed subject instead of a bright (often over-exposed) subject with a dark or dim background.

You can try to use a reduced flash exposure setting coupled with a slightly longer shutter speed (1/15 or 1/30) (I used manual mode), but not too long as your subject may move inadvertently.

And to compensate for the shutter speed, you'd need to boost the ISO. :)

Here's an example but done with an external flash.

I am a noob to flash but I tried taking lit background and flash on dark front subject by using 2nd-rear curtain or something like that..