Flash photography with DS


Status
Not open for further replies.

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
1,829
0
0
Visit site
#1
Got myself a DS and I am still waiting for my Sigma lens to be delivered.

I am now thinking of getting a flash, but not too sure which model yet. There are the Sigma models EF 500 DG ST and Super that I have not been able to figure out what the differences are and the Pentax AF360FGZ. There are of course the Metz flashes (have not really figured out which one works). The Metz flash may come in handy with my film PnS, which has a hotshoe.

I have also read that using P-TTL can be problematic as the pre-flash actually causes subjects to blink at the point in time when the main flash goes off when the actual photograph is taken. But because the DS defaults to P-TTL, I won't be able to switch to TTL mode even the functionality is available on the flash. I am almost sure of this for the AF360FGZ, but I am not sure if it applies to the Sigma. As such, I may need to stick to flashes that have only TTL.

I am hoping if the fellow DS users can share with me your experience with flash photography. The bulk of my photo will be that of my family, so I don't plan to blind them with too many attempts with the flash.
 

k_istDS

New Member
Nov 27, 2004
398
0
0
39
Singapore - Whampoa
#3
Parchiao said:
Got myself a DS and I am still waiting for my Sigma lens to be delivered.

I am now thinking of getting a flash, but not too sure which model yet. There are the Sigma models EF 500 DG ST and Super that I have not been able to figure out what the differences are and the Pentax AF360FGZ. There are of course the Metz flashes (have not really figured out which one works). The Metz flash may come in handy with my film PnS, which has a hotshoe.

I have also read that using P-TTL can be problematic as the pre-flash actually causes subjects to blink at the point in time when the main flash goes off when the actual photograph is taken. But because the DS defaults to P-TTL, I won't be able to switch to TTL mode even the functionality is available on the flash. I am almost sure of this for the AF360FGZ, but I am not sure if it applies to the Sigma. As such, I may need to stick to flashes that have only TTL.

I am hoping if the fellow DS users can share with me your experience with flash photography. The bulk of my photo will be that of my family, so I don't plan to blind them with too many attempts with the flash.
Hope I can be of some helps to you. The diff between Sigma EF500 DG ST and Super is that the Super support the wireless, while ST dun. If you like taking Portrait, Sigma might be a better choice since it cen be swiveled. Metz flash, currently, there's no adaptor for pentax.

I have AF360, so far, I'm happy with it, except it can't swivel. I have use the flash for Events coverage, Macro and sometime Portrait. It all depend on how you control the setting to get the best out of it, sometime "Auto" may not be the best choice for all situation. I'm also thinking of changing to the EF500 Super for its "swivel" function. Go to dpreview.com, there are several threads on the EF500..

Cheers.
 

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
1,829
0
0
Visit site
#4
What flash mode do you normally use for portraits and macro shots? I am tinkering with the idea of getting the Tamron 90mm. For those portrait shots, do you get higher than normal results where the subject has their eyes closed or semi closed.
 

wrx_sti_22b

Senior Member
Apr 14, 2005
4,968
2
38
42
Compassvale Lane
#5
So is the Sigma EF500 flash better than the Pentax AF360FGZ ? Coz i'm getting the Pentax flash soon.
 

wrx_sti_22b

Senior Member
Apr 14, 2005
4,968
2
38
42
Compassvale Lane
#7
tiong78 said:
can the AF360 be activated with a IR transmittor for off the cam flash?
anyonehave any experience?
Did the page 157 to 159 of the *ist DS operating manual explain your questions? :think:
 

k_istDS

New Member
Nov 27, 2004
398
0
0
39
Singapore - Whampoa
#8
tiong78 said:
can the AF360 be activated with a IR transmittor for off the cam flash?
anyonehave any experience?
Nope. No experience with that. But i got a product which is a Flash Slave Bracket that allow the built-in fill to trigger ther AF360.. quite good i must say.. especially for event coverage.. all photo I took for that no need post-processing...
 

k_istDS

New Member
Nov 27, 2004
398
0
0
39
Singapore - Whampoa
#9
Parchiao said:
What flash mode do you normally use for portraits and macro shots? I am tinkering with the idea of getting the Tamron 90mm. For those portrait shots, do you get higher than normal results where the subject has their eyes closed or semi closed.
I tried with auto and P-ttl.. for portrait, I tends to prefer auto, set the iso @200, and the same f-stop as the camera, and the camera set iso @ 400. Did that during the communi-asia.. not sure if I did the same for Dreamcar...

here's one sample..



according to the model, she said that what I took was more warm in colour, as compared with others, as she would appear very fair/white in the photo..
 

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
1,829
0
0
Visit site
#10
Yum yum, looks good. ;p Of course I was refering only to the flash results!
 

k_istDS

New Member
Nov 27, 2004
398
0
0
39
Singapore - Whampoa
#11

k_istDS

New Member
Nov 27, 2004
398
0
0
39
Singapore - Whampoa
#13
wrx_sti_22b said:
I was going to get the Pentax AF360FGZ ($310) and then i read abt a new AF540FGZ that is coming out in October. Wondering should i wait for this new flash. But wonder is it gonna be much more expensive...

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2005/i0518.html
Maybe you would want to wait if you dun need it that urgently. I guess it is going to cost not more than 500, maybe around the price of the sigma super... I believe but then you could have save 500....:D
 

wrx_sti_22b

Senior Member
Apr 14, 2005
4,968
2
38
42
Compassvale Lane
#14
I saw the estimated price staes US$400. That is abt S$660. Maybe it will be like Nikon SB800 & SB600 like that. One $600+ the other more junior one $300+. Not sure lah...
 

CSLee

New Member
Sep 29, 2005
212
0
0
www.pbase.com
#15
wrx_sti_22b said:
I was going to get the Pentax AF360FGZ ($310) and then i read abt a new AF540FGZ that is coming out in October. Wondering should i wait for this new flash. But wonder is it gonna be much more expensive...

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2005/i0518.html

im waiting for this AF540FGZ flash also because my AF360FGZ is not strong enough.
im new at here and happy to see parchiao & k_istDS also here.

below is my pic. , maybe next time can ask her to be our model
hope you dun mind i post it here.

 

k_istDS

New Member
Nov 27, 2004
398
0
0
39
Singapore - Whampoa
#16
im waiting for this AF540FGZ flash also because my AF360FGZ is not strong enough.
im new at here and happy to see parchiao & k_istDS also here.

below is my pic. , maybe next time can ask her to be our model
hope you dun mind i post it here.
Nice to see you here too, CS..

I agreee with you, AF360 sometimes is not enough for certain application.. I hate it when taking Portrait.. Wanted to buy the Sigma... but heard a lot of not soo good feedback.. so let hope the AF540 is good..
 

wrx_sti_22b

Senior Member
Apr 14, 2005
4,968
2
38
42
Compassvale Lane
#17
Is the Sigma EF500DG Super better? I'm asking a friend to buy for me in Hong Kong, as Singapore no stock for Pentax flash mount till November...
 

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
1,829
0
0
Visit site
#18
Wait a minute, how much is the Sigma EF500DG Super from Hong Kong? I know that it looks cheap and that is about it. However, I have also come across many postings on dpreview that the Sigma is as good as the AF360FGZ, but with swivel.
 

#19
anyone here have experience using those off shoe lighting with the cam?
i got some problems here.

sometimes, during a single shoot in a studio or outdoor shoot, the cam would not fire off the transmittor(radio or IR) and i had to turn of the cam and take out the battery to reset it, anyone encounter such problems? cos my friend's nikon was working great throughout the shoot.

I'm thinking of sending the cam to J & J to check out what exactly is wrong.
 

wrx_sti_22b

Senior Member
Apr 14, 2005
4,968
2
38
42
Compassvale Lane
#20
The cheapest seems to be MS Color here, at $385, but too bad, only Nov onwards then coming in for Pentax flash mount. I saw on H.K web pages anything from $335 onwards.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom