Flash photography (outdoor) using Stofen Omnibounce

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourn88

May 9, 2003
Bukit Panjang
hi
i am using Nikon Flash SB600 and a Stofen Omnibounce, can anyone share his experiences on using it?
A) must tilt flash head to 45 degrees
B) the max distance flash range must divide by 2.5

I believe point A is for indoor, so tilting 45 degrees is more effective. For outdoor shooting, eg fashion show in a shopping complex, it does not really matter much, although Point B becomes very important, as the coverage range is drastically reduced by 2.5! I have the bad experiences of my photos being greatly underexposed due to POINT B.
Please confirm these points based on your experiences.
Note, we are not using Lightspere so there is no point to discuss it.

http://www.stofen.com/FAQ/index.htm
Q: Why must I tilt the flash head to 45 degrees?
A: In Non TTL models this is necessary to avoid under exposure caused by light from the Omni hitting the external auto sensor of the flash. In TTL models it gives a better feathering wrap around of the light in the range from close to about 15 feet (4.5m) from the subject. Beyond that point with TTL we find straight on works OK for you.

Q: What adjustments in exposure do I have to make using the Omni?
A: We have found that with the automation offered in most of today's flashes makes exposure quick and easy. No exposure adjustment is needed on your part. The only thing that happens with the Omni in place is the Maximum Distance of the flash is reduced by a factor of 2.5. For example if your Max Distance is 50 feet divided by 2.5 now equals 20 feet with the Omni in place.

the 45 deg part, other factors comes into play, such as adequate lighting, strobes and ceiling height. even indoors, the height comes into play heavily. would say if u can test-shot before the actual shooting would be best. for fashion show, depending on the distance and elevation , straight on or without the stofenbounce might be better. this would also relate to the max distance.

No choice. You want to diffuse the flash, you have to suffer the loss of range.

You've got 3 ways out of this.

1) Use a fast lens and shoot available light

2) Wait till the model is in range before you shoot.

3) Remove the omnibounce. And perhaps go with keying in -ve compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.