Flash photography in a large hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
I was at the Car-nival event that took place last sunday and was trying my hand at some shots using the flash.

My photos ended up with the models being obviously flashed but the back ground was dark, very dark. I'm using the Fl-36 with a flip it. Should I have use Shutter Priority for a lower shutter speed to have a properly lighted background? I think I was using Aperture Priority that day.

Two ways to even things out...

1) increase the amount of light of the BG getting to the sensor, i.e., decrease the shutter speed, increase ISO, or

2) increase the amount of light in the background.

How you achieve that can be done many ways, depending on your preference and equipment. I usually go fully manual for total control.

CHEERS!

I've been playing using rear sync flash, it does quite well in lighting the background. Wonder if anyone agrees with this?

Increasing ISO and decreasing your shutter to the minimum required you need to shoot is the best way to get a more lighted background. Manual mode will be your best friend here if the place is uniformly litted.

Thanks for the tips! Will give it a go when the chance presents itself.

I've been playing using rear sync flash, it does quite well in lighting the background. Wonder if anyone agrees with this?

Rear Sync flash doesn't mean you light up the rear (background):)

Only when you have ensured the BG is metered properly and your settings is not too low to induce any handshakes in a long exposure.

You can front sync too, but with a longer shutter speed. Just meter the BG correctly, set the ISO and aperture such that you get a decent shutter speed (such as 1/15) and drop the flash ev. You will find that the effect is still pretty decent. ;)

1/15 sec would produce a nice background, but would be very suceptible to image blur due to subject movement, and ghosting due to camera movement when flash is fired.

For me, 1/50s is the absolute limit I would set my shutter speed, especially when I need to capture faces sharply. Generally, shoot wide open, 1/60s, ISO400/640/800 and direct flash, works well enough most of the time.

Read up a bit more on rear synchronisation flash photography vs slow sync flash.

google for flash and ambient light.

It takes me quite a while to understand how "intelligent" the camera was, when using "A" mode with a flash on.

Since then, I'll usually take one without flash, using "M" mode and adjust to get the amount of BG lighting I want, ON the flash (TTL mode) and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.