flash photography and skin tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
hi, i am wondering, if flash is used during portrait shooting, is it alright to have the face one shade/tone, and the body skin another shade/tone.

in a series, if the face is whiter than the body, then next picture it is darker than the body.. is that fine and acceptable?

hi, i am wondering, if flash is used during portrait shooting, is it alright to have the face one shade/tone, and the body skin another shade/tone.

in a series, if the face is whiter than the body, then next picture it is darker than the body.. is that fine and acceptable?

Are you doing commercial portraiture,
where the client pays you according to
the price you ask for because you are
a reknown and famous portraitist?

;):)

i wouldn't like that.

[vid]Z9qGmA5rHmc[/vid]

Are you doing commercial portraiture,
where the client pays you according to
the price you ask for because you are
a reknown and famous portraitist?

;):)

er, you can give me the answer to :

a) the scenario where i say "no"

and

b) the scenario where i say "what if yes, but i am not?"

me neither.

just wondering what general response is.

wa, you also know what this is about ar. :bsmilie:

btw, i like that song a lot :bsmilie:

not really but generally that is the excuse i give myself when i see stuff like that. then i don't get too caught up with it and work on bettering myself instead. :)

If you are nobody, this is call "mistake".

but when you are somebody, it is call "Art".

If you are nobody, this is call "mistake".

but when you are somebody, it is call "Art".

i think don't need to be somebody,

just make sure there are other things to look at , maybe people will overlook that. :)

night86mare, I am trying to imagine what you are describing....
Can show an example?

night86mare, I am trying to imagine what you are describing....
Can show an example?

you really want me to get whacked....... to be honest you just look at some popular P&P threads can already.

i go and find on flickr.

here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leticiamr/424731529/

now picture in the next frame her face is now the color of her skin in this one, and the skin is lighted up like she is white yeti. :)

what i mean is that, it is OBVIOUS that flash is being used, then the control of the flash is not done properly, giving the difference in tone without any positive purpose. compare that to this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanhfoto/93058285/

i am sure you can see what i am talking about.

Last edited:
you really want me to get whacked....... to be honest you just look at some popular P&P threads can already.

i go and find on flickr.

here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leticiamr/424731529/

now picture in the next frame her face is now the color of her skin in this one, and the skin is lighted up like she is white yeti. :)

what i mean is that, it is OBVIOUS that flash is being used, then the control of the flash is not done properly, giving the difference in tone without any positive purpose. compare that to this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanhfoto/93058285/

i am sure you can see what i am talking about.

HAHAHa.... yah, you know me lah... I never let go of any chance to dig.
And some more dig at you... I would be sitting on the fence seeing you being whacked! Hahaha.....

Anyway, jokes aside. I know what you mean about the different tones.
The first example, I would think that the lady's face appears lighter, not only because of the flash, but also because of her makeup on the face. Right?

The first example, I would think that the lady's face appears lighter, not only because of the flash, but also because of her makeup on the face. Right?

no, this is not true

unless you have a horrible MUA, they will generally try to match the correct skin tone.

no, this is not true

unless you have a horrible MUA, they will generally try to match the correct skin tone.

Ok.
Then maybe you are referring to something like this, where the face and the legs have slightly different tones? Is this what you mean?

Twotones.jpg

Ok.
Then maybe you are referring to something like this, where the face and the legs have slightly different tones? Is this what you mean?

Twotones.jpg

oh man, yes, that is horrible. i am not referring to the shadows caused by the light, but no one really likes to be able to visualise immediately how you did it with your lights.

not to mention her feet are as big as her face, that is way too much distortion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.