Flash photog noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfbatzap

Jan 24, 2007
Tampines
Hi,

I have a couple of old flash that once belong to my dad. Was wondering whether it would be compatible to the new dSLR in the market now..

The first one is a Sunpack SP170 and the 2nd one is a minolta flash (it just says electroflash P)

haha.. i found it lying around in the drawers and it's still functioning on my dad's old SLR :bsmilie:

What camera are you using now? Maybe you want to post some pictures of the flash you have with the exact model.

i'm wondering whether it will be compatible to d70 or canon 350d

i'll try to post some pics when i get back haha

sorry for the long delay.. was busy with work and stuffs..

ok here are the pics for the 2 flash modules that I dug up from my dad's drawers LOL

SUNKPAK

sunpak1.jpg

sunpak2.jpg

MINOLTA

minolta1.jpg

minolta2.jpg

i'm using a 350d btw! thanks for the help! =)

Yes. They will all work on your 350D. You have to shoot in manual mode and follow the aperture settings given on the back flash.

Yes. They will all work on your 350D. You have to shoot in manual mode and follow the aperture settings given on the back flash.
hmm any guides to what the numbers mean?

other than the feet/meter rows, the rest look like krytonian message to me.. LOL

better check the trigger voltage. some old manual flash have high voltage that may fry the camera flash circuit.

anyone?? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

If you dun have the flashes' manuals, you can try to Google for the voltages? :dunno:

To use the flash guide its pretty simple. I'll use the first flash (sunpak) as a reference
First focus on your subject, then look at yr lens to determine what's the distance stated (eg 4 Mtrs).
Next look at the guide; at 4 mtrs using ISO/asa 100, so the recommended apature is 4

Things to note
Those flash were produce way back when everything was manual and flash sync speed was about 1/90 or 1/125 at best; so you might need to compensate.
Also those flash are generally for use on a 50mm lens on a manual film camera. So again, you may need to compensate for digitial cropping.

Things to note
Those flash were produce way back when everything was manual and flash sync speed was about 1/90 or 1/125 at best; so you might need to compensate.
Also those flash are generally for use on a 50mm lens on a manual film camera. So again, you may need to compensate for digitial cropping.

Flash sync speed is camera depended. It doesn't not matter what flash is used.

Crop factor will not affect the flash power. Compensation is not needed. However, check the flash coverage to ensure it covers the angle you are shooting.

BC

Status
Not open for further replies.