Flash or Wide Angle lense

Zeonz

Aug 12, 2009
Hi guys, I'm using Canon 500D with Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. Thinking of buying either

1. Speedlite Flashes 430EX II - Sometime used to take photos when gathering with frenz, flash will be good when taking night shots.

2. AT-X 11-16 f2.8 - Well i love shooting landscape also thought getting 1 wide angle lense.

Which eq should i choose -.-;? i want to get something i can always use not put at home and collect dust...

i want to get something i can always use not put at home and collect dust...

you have answered your own question, which one do you need/use more often?

you have answered your own question, which one do you need/use more often?

i dun hahaha but i only have the budget for 1 item T-T

Hi guys, I'm using Canon 500D with Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. Thinking of buying either

1. Speedlite Flashes 430EX II - Sometime used to take photos when gathering with frenz, flash will be good when taking night shots.

2. AT-X 11-16 f2.8 - Well i love shooting landscape also thought getting 1 wide angle lense.

Which eq should i choose -.-;? i want to get something i can always use not put at home and collect dust...

Get both.

You could easily do landscapes with the Tammy 1750. Want to do Panos? Google 'How to shoot panoramas'. It's very possible even with the 1750. ;)

Get the flash and look up 'EOS Flash bible'. Sooner or later you're going to need the information. :sweat: Also read up on the basics of digital flash photography.

Have FUN! :)

Get both.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm a supporter of the Buy Buy Buy theory and highly recommend this strategy to people who don't know what they need.

You have 2 items on your mind and mentioned their intended usage. If you know the reason why you are getting them then why would you think they would become dust collectors??

I think you just feel to need to get something and am trying to convince yourself that you need them. A flash might not even be useful to you, depending on what kind of night shots you take. Have you shot landscapes enough to conclude that you need a wider lens?

Ultimately you will need to decide yourself as no once should be in the position to help you decide how to spend your money.

But if you are looking for "votes" to help to decide, then I would say get the flash first.

Some random thoughts...
- can consider getting from B&S section if budget is a concern.
- can always buy the items and if you decide that it's not suitable for you, you can always sell it off and you wouldn't lose much.
- can also rent/borrow to try out first, especially the wide angle lens, to see whether it's really suitable for you. Take a look at the B&S section and you will notice that there are quite a number of UWA being offered for sale, which could mean that many people have bought and realised that they don't really need it.
- flash can be used for many scenarios and not restricted to night photography with friends.

ok thank guys! Most properly will consider Flash then.

agree that only u will know. unfortunately as a start u will not be non the wiser .. get the flash and u will think u shld have gotten the wide lens, and vice versa.

for me since i shoot mostly landscapes and buildings, wide angle lens was my first choice. i still dun have a flash for my canon tho :bsmilie: usually i just position my subject with abit of incidental light on them.

ryan

I believe eventually you will get both.
Juz get any and enjoy it. lol

It really doesn't sound like you need either. If you're taking casual photos of friendly gatherings, your pop-up should be enough for most things. And your 17-50 can do landscapes.

Which irritates you more?
- Harsh shadows from direct flash? in which case get a flash you can bounce, or with a diffuser
- Or the inability to get a 'wider-angle perspective' with your current lens? In which case you should go for the 11-16.

The decision is all yours. :cool:

My 2 cents opinion get the 11-16mm first.
I got that as my next immediate buy.
Should have no regrets.
:D

U will need both..

Get a drybox first. All ur items won't be collecting dust. Haha. Just kidding. IMHO, get a flash 1st. Every photographer have flashes but not all will have UWA lens.
Furthermore I don't tink u will use the wide angle on ur frens more often than u will use flash. 17-50mm good enuff for landscapes. Next buy then get a UWA lor.

The fact that you are considering both means it's just a matter of time that you will get both. :devil:
I would suggest that you buy the one you have more need for now. IMO, your tammy is good enough for landscape so probably a flash. But an opinion is an opinion ... ultimately it's your choice. Buy for yourself, not others. ;)

alamak, this is like asking others which car to buy :

1) saden
2) hatch back
3) suv
4) mpv
5) exotic
6)..
7)..
8)..

only u can asnwer that question lar.:bsmilie:

How should i spend my money ???
Make more money first then spend spend spend !!
I believe its a matter of time you will get both.... ;)

so just get anything you fancy in the meantime...
Cheers and happy shopping !!

If it's a flash then why go 430EX when you can take the 580EX II :bsmilie:

Spend more now to spend less later ! :sweatsm:

honestly you only need a flash if you are covering events or shooting weddings.

otherwise if i were you i would get a wide angle lens.