Flash or prime?

seezhijie

Nov 8, 2010
Malaysia
Hi guys,
I currently own a D7k, 18-105 and 55-200. I also own a tripod: free gift from the D7k.

But right now I'm unsure of which equipment to buy next. I'm looking at either a 35mm f/1.8G, an SB-700 speedlight or a better tripod.

I shoot just about anything: from landscapes to events to streets

Any suggestions? If possible, please state the reasons too. And if tripod, which tripod do you recommend? I'm only a sec 4 O level student btw, so budget is quite the problem, though I don't mind spending time to save up

Sorry title should be Flash, Prime or Tripod

IMHO get the prime first.

Sorry title should be Flash, Prime or Tripod

What is more important for you?

If shooting events is top priority, get the flash.
If shooting streets is top priority, get the 35.
If shooting landscape is top priority, get the tripod.

Looks like you gonna break the bank in your next purchase if u gonna do everything.
Though I'm a bit embarrass, as I went from macro, to landscape, to birding, to portrait. In the end, I got a little of everything -_-""

Like what many bros here suggest before, stick with one until you master it before moving on. As for your purchase, just buy what you next need.

buy the flash. You will realise how useful it is once you have it. Or actually, keep shooting without it and then you too will know why you need it. Unless of course you perpetually don't take any indoor shots.

yes i would agree with dd123 and cowseye ... it is hard to refine from buying those ''maybe-I-need'' stuff.
I bought both the 35mm prime and 10-24 UWA almost quite immediately after getting my d7k.

60% = 35mm prime
15% = UWA
25% = kit lens

Since TS has 18mm - 200mm covered ... I would suggest getting a flash to enhance your kit

i suggest getting a flash 1st since you already got a free tripod and 18-200.

either that try to keep shooting learning for the next month and find out what u really lacking or what u really need...

but if u really wanna spent than i suggest a flash.... shld suffice u for ya outing with friends or family....

a flash will change the way you shoot! :)

I also suggest getting a flash first as your lenses are quite "slow" in aperture.

Do 18mm 3.5 and 35mm 1.8 have a big difference?

definitely. if i were you i won't waste my money on the 18 f3.5 because on a crop body you'll have a field of view of a 27mm plus its a F3.5 meaning it ain't worth for low light situation might as well use you kits lens. my money would go for the 35 f1.8 dx. not only its a fast prime its also as close as you can get for field of view of a 50mm on a full frame good for street shots. but if you want a proper portraits lens i would get 50 f1.8(75mm on a crop) or 85 f1.8 (127.5mm on a crop) if budget is you main concern.

just look around on flickr about the lenses i mention. try looking for photos that were shots on crop sensor and you be the judge and decide what lens suits you well.

here's some links for you to check out.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/afsnikkor35mm18/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor50mm18/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor_85mm/

seezhijie said:

Of course. Very different focal length, vert different perspective. And 3 stops difference in aperture.

What is more important for you?

If shooting events is top priority, get the flash.
If shooting streets is top priority, get the 35.
If shooting landscape is top priority, get the tripod.

To TS: this is the best advice u can get.

forget about the tripod. u don need a good tripod to create good photos

Any reason it can't be a 50/1.8? D7000 can use the 50mm, so you can get a used one from BnS for $120-$140, and get a flash as well.

Prime and flash serve different purposes, so you should have both.

But again depending on what you shot the most, the other reply about event and streets and landscape is good advise.