Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

klayhead

Jun 27, 2007
Hi all,

New here, just got a Nikon D40x Lens Kit

Wondering what flash i should be looking at (for indoor shots) and lenses (zoom lens for outdoor) for future upgrades..

Would be travelling to hongkong in end Jan and wondering could pick up something if the price is right.

Thanks! :)

SB800? top range flash for nikon...
18-200VR which is a versatile lens with Vibration Reduction. (How i hope that canon produce one~)

Hi all,

New here, just got a Nikon D40x Lens Kit

Wondering what flash i should be looking at (for indoor shots) and lenses (zoom lens for outdoor) for future upgrades..

Would be travelling to hongkong in end Jan and wondering could pick up something if the price is right.

Thanks! :)

For the D40X, I'd suggest either the SB-400 or SB-600. As for lenses wise, if you have the dough, do consider the top end lenses...

thanks everyone!

looked at some of the prices and don't really think its within budget since i just got my D40x kit..

Is there anything specific to look out for when choosing a ext flashlight? Any reliable 3rd party flashlights for d40x?

Many thanks :)

Speedlite - SB800 (u won't regret), SB600 (good for ur wallet)
Lenses - Tamron 17-50f2.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 60f2.8, Nikon 18-200

For lenses choice, u have to decide for urself wat u normally shoot..

SB600 should set me back by ard 330 in Hongkong(travelling end Jan)
saw that SB200 is around 150 only

are there significant differences? please elaborate

thanks for all the trouble in replying, really appreciate it

SB600 should set me back by ard 330 in Hongkong(travelling end Jan)

are there significant differences? please elaborate

thanks for all the trouble in replying, really appreciate it

:think:is there a SB200?
I tot Nikon speedlites oni SB400, SB600 and SB800..and some other older models before the digital age..:bsmilie:

:think:is there a SB200?
I tot Nikon speedlites oni SB400, SB600 and SB800..and some other older models before the digital age..:bsmilie:

SB-(R)200 is the basic macro flash for R1C1. There is no other SB-200 flash that i know of ..

For 150SGD it is really a steal!

Ryan

And you need a commander to trigger it off... at least a SU-800 or SB-800

thanks everyone!

looked at some of the prices and don't really think its within budget since i just got my D40x kit..

Is there anything specific to look out for when choosing a ext flashlight? Any reliable 3rd party flashlights for d40x?

Many thanks :)

Since you are using the kit, stay with it till you are sure what you want. If you are keen in photography in the long run, suggest you start saving and invest in a good lens... DSLR keeps upgraded periodically but a good top end lens will last you longer....

As for the flashes, the Csers will be able to advise you accordingly. Suggest you dont rush into buying too many and expensive gears within a short span of time.

SB600 is a good investment..... if you think photography is for you, no harm stretching your budget and getting the SB600....

Get the SB600, I think it is good enough for people like us,still new I am getting one also,

Thanks to all for your inputs :sweatsm:

Travelling to HK end Jan..

I found this prices:

based on this website:
http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?page=photo/cameraprice.htm
SB600 cost HKD1750 > SGD322(approx)

while this place
http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/product-info.php?products_id=275
SB600 cost HKD1680 > SGD309(approx)

For lenses, will be looking at a long term plan more than 2008 i guess, many thanks, hoping to take some nice pictures to post here soon :)

Hi,

I got D40X and just bot SB-400 for its portability. Great results for casual indoor shots. S$190 only.

can share where u bought the SB400 from? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.