Flash issues.

leowyien

Jan 31, 2010
Serangoon
When do people regularly use flash? Cant they use a slow shutter speed?

Squid

Jun 10, 2004
Flash is used in for variety of reasons including the following:

-- use as fill flash to bring out details in shadow area under bright sunlight situations
-- illuminate the person when person is standing with his/her back against bright lights
-- allow the camera to photograph a person while keeping other distracting area in the dark
-- "freeze motion" a person as a person may not stand still for minutes for sharp image to be taken

Numnumball

Mar 6, 2009
Central
Why is using flash in anyway related to shutter speed?
Why will many want to use a slower shutter speed if not using flash?
There are in no way or another linked to each other imo.

Like wad Squid has mentoned, bascially its act as a fill, or a primary light source, to reduce contrast, lift shadows and to "freeze" ur subjects blah blah blah..

Flash photography in itself is an art and good flash photography can open up a whole new world of creativity. Its scientific in another sense as well (etc. inverse square of law, exposure variation due to flash to subject distance..)

I believe some read up in google will do u gd in the long run friend :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2006
Flash may sometimes help to enhance a picture.

See http://neilvn.com/tangents/

I think he is a master in flash. Although he has a 5D and D3, he still believes that flash is still necessary.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
another reason is flash helps when dont have fast lenses.

paesyl

Aug 3, 2007
From your question are you asking why not use a slower shutter speed instead of flash in a low light condition.

yes, you can, just ask your subjects move like a sloth, and your shoot everything with high ISO or on tripod.
I think this answer your question.

There is lots of reason to use flash. For me i would even use flash when the sun is very bright or you can term it as harsh. I cannot wait for the sun to go away so have to fill flash to lighten the shadows. Even you can wait for the sun to go down you will get a longer shadow.

Sep 8, 2009
Choa Chu Kang
toTS ..

read more ??? the answer can be googled quite easily....
You may want to look at the strobist website, exact details found on google....

Have fun buying a external flash unit !!!

Happy shooting.... ;)

kklee

Aug 13, 2004
I think that you had partially answered your own questions i.e. why some people use flash regularly is because they cannot or do not want to use a slower shutter speed.

Top Bottom