flash FP(nikon SB800)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
why is FP intended for?why would i need my flash to sync with my cam for shutterspeeds above 1/250?

other than background being darker, and flash firing distance shorter, why would one use such settings?:dunno:

why is FP intended for?why would i need my flash to sync with my cam for shutterspeeds above 1/250?

other than background being darker, and flash firing distance shorter, why would one use such settings?:dunno:

I think you use FP usually when in broad day sunlight, and you want to use a big aperture to isolate the object in focus from other, and after lowering the iso to the minimum and having the sync speed to the max, your picture is still over expose.

Say in very hot sunny day. You need shallow DoF. So you use Aperture f/2.8. Your shutter speed is 1/1000s with the lowest ASA. And you want to use your SB800 for fill in flash. Use SB800 in FP mode allow you to sync in 1/1000s.

Alternatively, you can use ND filter and hope your shutter speed will down to 1/250s or below so you no need to use flash FP mode. But remember, use any filter will degrade the picture quality ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

ok, so FP is for daylight fill use.

so instead of FP, assuming i shoot at f2.8 and shutter of 1/1000,
can i switch the flash to manual for 'fill flash'?
i can just try and reduce the flash power output accordingly.can?

reducing the flash power might not help.... cause the sync is not correct....
i was in this problem a few weeks ago also....
seems like not much choice but to use filter or to stop down....

eg. : when you shoot the white tigers in afternoon... the flash speed can't sync with shutter speed... then how? this problem crop up liao...

ok, so FP is for daylight fill use.

so instead of FP, assuming i shoot at f2.8 and shutter of 1/1000,
can i switch the flash to manual for 'fill flash'?
i can just try and reduce the flash power output accordingly.can?
If your shutter speed 1/1000s and you want to use flash, no choice you must use FP flash mode. Alternatively you can use reflector for fill in light.

Regards,
Arto.

only when you are shooting portraits in bright sunlight, then you will experience the difficulty... :sweat:

great.now i'm totally confused about fill flash in daylights and flash FP values.

so help me out guys.

1)if i want to use fill flash in such a way the it's like the flash wasnt fired, can i use flash FP?

2)is it even necessary to set my flash to flash FP for portraiture?:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

great.now i'm totally confused about fill flash in daylights and flash FP values.

so help me out guys.

1)if i want to use fill flash in such a way the it's like the flash wasnt fired, can i use flash FP?

2)is it even necessary to set my flash to flash FP for portraiture?:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Why not organise a shoot and share experience...
talking down here will make some of us confuse, shoot on the spot and correct it.

It will solve most of your questions like FP,WB etc...

so help me out guys.

1. Yes, you can still use FP mode while doing fill flash. FP mode is just a special mode on the flash to allow it to sync above the x-sync speed of the camera (1/250s for your D200). You can still dial down the flash eV to just fill-in the shadows or create a catchlight in the eyes.

2. Only necessary if the shutter speed needs to be above 1/250s on your D200, which sometimes can be the case if you're shooting outdoors with a large aperture.

goose,thanks.i'll try it.

Basically the maximum sync speed for any camera is the shutter speed at which the shutter is still able to reach full open position before the second shutter leaf starts to close. If you took a normal flash picture at above the sync speed, then the part of the frame will be blocked out by the already moving second shutter leaf (try taking a picture in a totally darken room and you will see what I mean, the faster you go, the larger the black portion you get under the frame)
However with high speed sync flash, the burst of flash is designed to stay on for the duration of its sync speed eg. 1/2000 sec (a standard flash lasts only about 1/30,000 sec).
Hope this clears your confusion.

...However with high speed sync flash, the burst of flash is designed to stay on for the duration of its sync speed eg. 1/2000 sec (a standard flash lasts only about 1/30,000 sec).
No. The standard flash duration is variable form about 1/800s to 1/30.000s (number is not correct as each model is different). Flash in M mode for M/1 will be around 1/800s (depend on flash model). Flash in M mode for M/128 is around 1/30.000s (again, depends on flash model). Flash duration in TTL or AA or A mode depend on feedback received by flash.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.