Flash for Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuclear_puppi

Dec 26, 2003
Hi all, I'm asked to help take photos for my friend's ROM ceremony, I intend to get a SB800 for my D70. Just wondering, besides the speedlite, do I need a diffuser as well ? or can simply bounce the flash off the ceiling.

Also, how to calculate how far can the SB800 cover? I think I saw a formula in one of the website before but lost the URL already. Wanna know what's the difference in range between the SB600 and SB800.

Thanks

SB800 come with dome diffuser as included accessory. You might want to think about Gary Fong's cup diffuser as well.

I don't recommend SB600 for such important event. But knowing your equipment well before an event is a must IMHO.

Regards,
Arto.

Hi all, I'm asked to help take photos for my friend's ROM ceremony, I intend to get a SB800 for my D70. Just wondering, besides the speedlite, do I need a diffuser as well ? or can simply bounce the flash off the ceiling.

Also, how to calculate how far can the SB800 cover? I think I saw a formula in one of the website before but lost the URL already. Wanna know what's the difference in range between the SB600 and SB800.

Thanks

take the money and hire a AD photographer instead. You dun sound sure at all, you might mess it up.

buy the SB800 quick..and test it out first b4 the actual event occur..the SB800 comes with a omnibounce alike diffuser..shoot raw to play safe..

..but i have to agree with ihub88..u sounded not sure at all..have u use any speedlites before?

well... i'm a backup photographer :)

buy the SB800 quick..and test it out first b4 the actual event occur..the SB800 comes with a omnibounce alike diffuser..shoot raw to play safe..

..but i have to agree with ihub88..u sounded not sure at all..have u use any speedlites before?

I have borrowed sb28 from my friend be4, personally I rarely shoot with speedlite as I normally shoot outdoors.

Well.. have tried both SB-600 and SB-800 as backup photogs... and if you need the fast recharge rate, the SB-800 would be better (with the 5th batt compartment) and if you have a ext batt pack, even better...

But if it's for random shots here and there, a SB-600 would suffice. If you need a modifier, a simple bounce card or a omnibounce would do fine.

Thanks

lol, dun let those paranoid people put you off la. Hire what professional? It's not difficult to take pics, especially when u can view them RIGHT after you take them. Your friends are NOT expecting professional grade photos when they ask you.

- If u know how to bounce, dun need diffuser. Try playing at home to get the tilt angle correct.
I prefer to use a white card attached by velcro ( sb800 got a built in one...but too small).
IMHO, those gary fong's lightsphere are overkill in terms of price.

- calculate distance? Alamak, this is not the 80's when equipment is manual. Calculate what?
Just set to ttl mode and shoot la.

Lol....but seriously, if u ask me, i think ur flash knowledge not good. I suggest u get a sb600 ( NO need sb800 la, overkill) set, put it on, put on a sofen ominibounce, tilt at 60 degree, set to auto mode and shoot.

your friends have confident for your skill,then your must show ur good work for them..:)
my suggestion is,if u not very tight budget,take sb800.
because: 1.more power output
2.more function(can play multi flash system)
3.no need upgrade(this is the best once for nikon now)

And u can use the onmi-bounce(come with sb800) and white card to get a very nice flash effect.if u use DIY white card,tilt ur flash head 60* and pull out the diffuse panel to diffuse the flash light,then u can get very nice effect and can prevent over-expose.:thumbsup:

lol, dun let those paranoid people put you off la. Hire what professional? It's not difficult to take pics, especially when u can view them RIGHT after you take them. Your friends are NOT expecting professional grade photos when they ask you. .

you nv know man.

- If u know how to bounce, dun need diffuser. Try playing at home to get the tilt angle correct.
I prefer to use a white card attached by velcro ( sb800 got a built in one...but too small).
IMHO, those gary fong's lightsphere are overkill in terms of price.

- calculate distance? Alamak, this is not the 80's when equipment is manual. Calculate what?
Just set to ttl mode and shoot la.

Lol....but seriously, if u ask me, i think ur flash knowledge not good. I suggest u get a sb600 ( NO need sb800 la, overkill) set, put it on, put on a sofen ominibounce, tilt at 60 degree, set to auto mode and shoot.

why SB800 overkill?

between sb600 and sb800, both are good for wedding shoot. have shot with both using either bounce card or stofenbounce, both works good. in a way, sb800 is a little overkill for the price, since the sb600 can do most things the sb800 does. heck i just saw a guy shoot with sb400 last week for a tea ceremony. learn to use available lighting to compliment the speedlites.

the only significant difference is the recycle time. the distance for sb600 is 20m and the sb800 abt dbl. google for information abt this 2 speedlites and lookup guide number (GN) for help. price also almost dbl if i remember correctly. would advise u to

imo, i think the TS is asking for help. i think we should give advice and nothnig more. besides he's the backup and his friend trust him enough to shoot.

Thanks

Alright now back to TS questions..

1. SB800 is a good buy, if u haven't got any speedlite..if budget is a constraint, SB600 will do fine..

2. The use of diffuser is to produce a soft uniform light..SB800 has a standard omnibounce alike diffuser supplied..for Sb600 u can purchase one ~$30 at CP..Most ppl uses diffuser to avoid the harsh lighting that may produce blown highlights when shooting direct..

3. Bouncing of flash off ceiling with or without bounce card is also a method for producing soft light..most often bouncing flash off ceiling with a bounce card is very sufficient..but have to take note of the ceiling height and color of the ceiling..cause bouncing off a colored painted ceiling(other than white) may get a color cast on ur pictures..

4. All flash comes with a guide number, including ur built-in flash
The formula is something like: Distance = GN/Fstop
GN given by manufacturer is usually rated at ISO100..hence if using a different ISO ur GN will oso have to multiply by a factor..Fstop is the aperture no. u r shooting at..these gives a good gauge on the distance ur flash can reach..
But with modern flash technology, like Nikon i-TTL and Canon E-TTL both working on the same principles of TTL..the formula above is almost obsolete for photogs..
TTL allows the flash to measure the flash power to fire by firing a pre-flash to measure the correct exposure for the subject..

5. like wat tribal.snake mention..SB800 can cover a range more than SB600..almost nearing to double..

Although flash lights are almost foolproof for users with current technology..but sometimes it might be fooled by ambient lightings..that is why flash compensation is build in..since being a backup photog..there is no harm in trying things..remember to review pictures after shooting and dial in compensation as needed..NOTE: Shoot RAW to play safe..so pictures can be saved..:bsmilie:

Just my 2Cent$..:D

Backup photog? Friend? Family?

I suggest you save the money on the speedlight since you might never use it again (unless of course they are willing to pay and buy it for you. heh.)

Use the $ to get a fast prime. Maybe a 50/1.4 or maybe a 35/2. Since you're backup, the pressure is not on you to deliver the must-have pics. You can shoot ambient :) And you can continue to make use of the lens long after this event is over...

Oh... and it's an ROM ceremony only right? If it's at ROM itself... Might not be able to squeeze so many people into the room to begin with. So why need so many photographers? (just a thought)

Disagree with u. For me give a try,if not sure just use Auto setting.WIthout exposing urself u won't know what is ur limitation.Good luck:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and screw things up for the main, good luck

and screw things up for the main, good luck

actually this is not the 1st time I'm taking ROM for my friend. I have tried a couple of times, both as backup and main. but all of them were outdoors and mostly in the daytime.

This time round, my friend is holding it in a restuarant and was thinking lighting will be a problem thus started this thread.

Thanks for your concern :)

Backup photog? Friend? Family?

I suggest you save the money on the speedlight since you might never use it again (unless of course they are willing to pay and buy it for you. heh.)

Use the $ to get a fast prime. Maybe a 50/1.4 or maybe a 35/2. Since you're backup, the pressure is not on you to deliver the must-have pics. You can shoot ambient :) And you can continue to make use of the lens long after this event is over...

Oh... and it's an ROM ceremony only right? If it's at ROM itself... Might not be able to squeeze so many people into the room to begin with. So why need so many photographers? (just a thought)

already have a prime lens :)

it's in a restuarant, and if I'm not wrong, the other photographer is a friend of the bride.

actually this is not the 1st time I'm taking ROM for my friend. I have tried a couple of times, both as backup and main. but all of them were outdoors and mostly in the daytime.

This time round, my friend is holding it in a restuarant and was thinking lighting will be a problem thus started this thread.

Thanks for your concern :)

bounce your flash all the way, just go check what colour is the ceiling.

Alright now back to TS questions..

1. SB800 is a good buy, if u haven't got any speedlite..if budget is a constraint, SB600 will do fine..

2. The use of diffuser is to produce a soft uniform light..SB800 has a standard omnibounce alike diffuser supplied..for Sb600 u can purchase one ~$30 at CP..Most ppl uses diffuser to avoid the harsh lighting that may produce blown highlights when shooting direct..

3. Bouncing of flash off ceiling with or without bounce card is also a method for producing soft light..most often bouncing flash off ceiling with a bounce card is very sufficient..but have to take note of the ceiling height and color of the ceiling..cause bouncing off a colored painted ceiling(other than white) may get a color cast on ur pictures..

4. All flash comes with a guide number, including ur built-in flash
The formula is something like: Distance = GN/Fstop
GN given by manufacturer is usually rated at ISO100..hence if using a different ISO ur GN will oso have to multiply by a factor..Fstop is the aperture no. u r shooting at..these gives a good gauge on the distance ur flash can reach..
But with modern flash technology, like Nikon i-TTL and Canon E-TTL both working on the same principles of TTL..the formula above is almost obsolete for photogs..
TTL allows the flash to measure the flash power to fire by firing a pre-flash to measure the correct exposure for the subject..

5. like wat tribal.snake mention..SB800 can cover a range more than SB600..almost nearing to double..

Although flash lights are almost foolproof for users with current technology..but sometimes it might be fooled by ambient lightings..that is why flash compensation is build in..since being a backup photog..there is no harm in trying things..remember to review pictures after shooting and dial in compensation as needed..NOTE: Shoot RAW to play safe..so pictures can be saved..:bsmilie:

Just my 2Cent$..:D

very good info... thanx a lot :)

bounce your flash all the way, just go check what colour is the ceiling.

that one have to go on that day and see already. the last time I tried to bounce, i think the angle is not right , still can see a bit of shadows behind the subjects ... probably take the advice of some here who say point 60 degrees..

Status
Not open for further replies.