Flash for Macro photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hein

Jun 19, 2003
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi Guys,

Based on your experience, is flash a MUST for macro photography of insects?? I find that I can get more details of the insect if it's in a shade, but cannot use too small appertures due to the slow shutter speed.. I managed to take some OK shots with my current setup(no flash, and sunlight), and would like to know whether a flash will help me to get better pics..

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Hein said:
Hi Guys,

Based on your experience, is flash a MUST for macro photography of insects?? I find that I can get more details of the insect if it's in a shade, but cannot use too small appertures due to the slow shutter speed.. I managed to take some OK shots with my current setup(no flash, and sunlight), and would like to know whether a flash will help me to get better pics..

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Get a macro flash (expensive!!!) or just an external hotshoe flash.... currently a lot of your shots have shadows which obscure a lot details.... and it seems that your lens like not macro enough..... :D Need to go closer....

TME said:
Get a macro flash (expensive!!!) or just an external hotshoe flash.... currently a lot of your shots have shadows which obscure a lot details.... and it seems that your lens like not macro enough..... :D Need to go closer....

You meaning that I may improve those shots if I get an external hotshoe flash, as this will help me eliminate the shadows.. I'll still need a diffuser I believe... Can I get better pics without the flash, or it's something I'll really need if I'm really interested in macro????

I'm not using a macro lens.. Using a 28-135 with a CloseUp +4.. I doubt I'll be getting more CloseUp filters so soon, as I want to improve my techniques before justifying whether to get more CloseUp filters, or a macro lens...

Sorry, borrow your thread, anyone tried using torchlight, those super bright white light torch? Any good?

pcwe68 said:
Sorry, borrow your thread, anyone tried using torchlight, those super bright white light torch? Any good?

Consumes lots of batteries real quick... may create hotspots... but i never used before lar... so just my conjecture.

Azure said:
Depends on your setup. Flash may not be a necessity in many cases. I for one never use flash.

But he's shooting like with the sun very strong.... can see that it is casting lots of shadows around.... so the flash would help him in this situation...... if he were to shoot in the same conditions again.... my 2 cents..... :)

If you're seriously going into insect macros, an external flash is a necessity in my opinion. If you're shooting insects under the bright sun, the flash will help fill the shadow areas, bringing out the details. If shooting under poor lighting (e.g, under thick canopy), the flash will help light up the subject and background.

Status
Not open for further replies.