Flash for D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

retiredmafia

Aug 13, 2004
Hello guys.. Quite new to this DSLR thing and I finally succumb to temptations and was led into the dark side... I bought a D70 at Comex... WOOHOO! :D

i dun care what people say about D20, or D200 or blah blah blah.. If I dun buy it I will never stop comparing and will never buy one in the end so guys quit bitching and get down to it because it's NOW or u will never get it ;) )

sorry to digress.. :bsmilie: After trying out the D70 I feel that having a flash is quite essential so are there any good but cheap flashes around which is/are compatible with the D70 and comparable like the SB-800 or SB-600? Im not asking for the flash to work as well as the SB-800 but you know i hope some experinenced nikonians can give me some insight as to what is a good flash for the D70 for beginners.

thank you guys and D70 rocks man! :lovegrin:

Firstly,Welcome to the dark side. :)

I am a newbie myself, but I won't recommend that you get any cheap flashes first.As i think you will save more money without having to sell the flash later after depreciation.
:bigeyes: The SB 800 is awesome as I manage to try it a couple of times and resisted buying other flashes without the iTTL mode.Despite the price,You might realise that it is actually value for money.

retiredmafia said:
Hello guys.. Quite new to this DSLR thing and I finally succumb to temptations and was led into the dark side... I bought a D70 at Comex... WOOHOO! :D

sorry to digress.. :bsmilie: After trying out the D70 I feel that having a flash is quite essential so are there any good but cheap flashes around which is/are compatible with the D70 and comparable like the SB-800 or SB-600? Im not asking for the flash to work as well as the SB-800 but you know i hope some experinenced nikonians can give me some insight as to what is a good flash for the D70 for beginners.

If you wish to use TTL or rather iTTL, your options are limited only to the Nikon SB-600 and the SB-800.

If you do not wish to use iTTL, then get an SB-80DX, SB-26 or SB-28. You can use "M" mode (manual) or "A" mode on these flashes.

I know the feeling of having to grapple with what flash to buy. ;)
I had to sell off a lot of my stuff just to buy the SB-800. :cry:

get the sb600,,.....its cheap and its good......i have it......works perfectly with the d70...in fact i think it was made for the d70....

Robin said:
get the sb600,,.....its cheap and its good......i have it......works perfectly with the d70...in fact i think it was made for the d70....
SB-600 is just a lower end version of the SB-800, it's made for film and other DSLRs as well, not just made for D70. :)

Hi retiredmafia,

I was in similiar situation as u 2 months ago...making decision on which flash to buy, SB600 or SB800.

No doubt SB600 is lower version of SB800, it does not mean that it is no good.

Check out the advantages of SB800 over SB600....and pending to your needs to make a decision.

it is not always necessary to buy the best equipment if u will not utilise them at all...

You can also check out the Sigma EF500 DG Super NA i-TTL. I replaced my SB600 with one of them, and it seems to work just fine. Costs slightly more than the SB600 (around $370).

thank you fellow nikonians (or at least I think you are)... Here's some more novice questions...

I heard so much about TTL and iTTL but what exactly is it?

and

How much is the SB-600 retailing?

Thanks guys and the D70 ROCKS!

retiredmafia said:
thank you fellow nikonians (or at least I think you are)... Here's some more novice questions...

I heard so much about TTL and iTTL but what exactly is it?

and

How much is the SB-600 retailing?

Thanks guys and the D70 ROCKS!

some stuff about i-ttl here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=90244

espn said:
SB-600 is just a lower end version of the SB-800, it's made for film and other DSLRs as well, not just made for D70. :)
agree.

i have the SB800 and i've seen it works great with F60,F80,F100,F5 film cameras in TTL mode. in fact with TTL/iTTL i dun have to set anything on my flash whenever i change any setting on my cam. it works well with older film cams like FM2, yashica 2000 as well in A mode

yup...if u only hav a d70...get the sb800...

unless u are like me...probably gonna need the flash for the film models too...then the sb600... haha....

Witness said:
yup...if u only hav a d70...get the sb800...

unless u are like me...probably gonna need the flash for the film models too...then the sb600... haha....
shouldn't it be the other way round? SB800 have all the features that SB600 have, not the other way

hitting the thread with posts again! :p hmmm

the sigma... is it better than the SB600? does it stand between the 600 and 800? anyone have any comments? I was down at CP today.. the 600 costs 360...

Just out of curiosity , D70 and D100 flash , just how compatible are the SB26 and SB28 with these cameras . are you restricted to manual only .

U can only use the DX series on the D100, and the two SB-800/SB-600 can be used on D70 and D100.

the sigma is supposed to be 85% if the sb800's functions....

if u comapre it to a sb600....wat u get is tt it will overheat easily and flash result is inconsistant....

Current advise on flash is always to buy the manufacturer's recommended ones. Any others and you do not know what risk you are taking, especially 3rd party ones. It had just become too sophiticated with digital body. If using a D70 buy either a SB600 or a SB800. Any others will not make it.

welcome to the dark side. as for my opinion, i suggest you get the SB800. once and for all get the best and save all the trouble of upgrading if you get sb600.

sb800 is cool and awesome. no complain at all.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.