Flash for Canon 550D

der35

Jul 28, 2011
Hi, i am looking for a external Flashlight for normal photos shoot for my Canon 550D.

Just want to buy low end one. Budget ard $100++

Anyone can recommend me the brand and what is the estimate brand? Cannon seems expensive.

Tot of going to that shop in AMK hub which alot of forum ppl have recommend. Do they sell other brand of flashlight?

Thanks

if your budget is 100+, I guess your best bet is YongNuo flash. But many of them are manual ones. There are some ETTL ones, but you will have to do more reading for those.

btw, Getting it off ebay can also be another cheaper option. You may want to take alook in ebay for it before deciding on the price you want to pay for YN flash.

Tot of going to that shop in AMK hub which alot of forum ppl have recommend. Do they sell other brand of flashlight?

Call them up and ask... Really, do try to do some basic research on your own before coming and posting here. We are not your concierge service.

For a budget of 100++, there is only manual flashes available first hand... and like what Skystrike had mentioned, Yongnuo are pretty reputable. However for that amount you might get some flashes from our BnS section... just get one that is for Canon.

And yes... do read up on different flashes.

if your budget is 100+, I guess your best bet is YongNuo flash. But many of them are manual ones. There are some ETTL ones, but you will have to do more reading for those.

btw, Getting it off ebay can also be another cheaper option. You may want to take alook in ebay for it before deciding on the price you want to pay for YN flash.

Bro, thanks for the info. I saw website selling YN flash which is considerable quite cheap. Btw what is ETTL. What do u mean by manual? I thot the flash will trigger once I switch on my camera flash?

For a budget of 100++, there is only manual flashes available first hand... and like what Skystrike had mentioned, Yongnuo are pretty reputable. However for that amount you might get some flashes from our BnS section... just get one that is for Canon.

And yes... do read up on different flashes.

Bro, thanks for info :)

Bro, thanks for the info. I saw website selling YN flash which is considerable quite cheap. Btw what is ETTL. What do u mean by manual? I thot the flash will trigger once I switch on my camera flash?

TTL - through the lens. It means the flash automatically calculate the aperture of your camera and the flash power it need for that exposure.

However if the flash do not have that (manual flash), the power output will be manually calculated by the photographer and input to the flash yourself. Also most probably (not sure), you cannot control the flash from your camera. Sure once you hit the shutter button, the flash will go off, but it will only fire off using your pre-determined output power.

TTL - through the lens. It means the flash automatically calculate the aperture of your camera and the flash power it need for that exposure.

However if the flash do not have that (manual flash), the power output will be manually calculated by the photographer and input to the flash yourself. Also most probably (not sure), you cannot control the flash from your camera. Sure once you hit the shutter button, the flash will go off, but it will only fire off using your pre-determined output power.

Thanks for the information. I am new to DSLR.

You can try brilliant flash i own one an did a review of the product.

What the damage?

TTL Flash

They sold quite a number of third party flash with TTL functions... pretty cheaply too.

But if I was to choose, I would get a more powerful flash like YN565EX for S2XX... it is value for money and the flash almost had everything on a 580EXII for only a fraction of the cost. I have one and is loving it.

Below $150 you can get ETTL flash, by yongnuo you can get say 465 468 model. Brilliant model is cheap too, you can google "sgcamerastore" or "tago-tech" or "artworkfoto" to have a gauge of price. Alternative go to MASS SELLING section to look at the prices which individuals import from overseas to sell here.

If you are new I would recommend with ETTL, it can be useful when you need to shoot things quickly like events etc.

Call the shop to ask, not all shops carry in various third party brands. Orient photo at Sim Lim does have yongnuo you can check out from that store too.

Called MS Color at AMK.
Quoted me Nissin Di466 Cash Price. Most likely, will buy later.

Bro, thanks for all the helpful advise. :cool:

Actually there are some good flashes around in the buy and sell section. I got mine for $65 from one fellow CSer with TTL. And can be used as slave too! It's verynuseful for night or indoor shots :D

Csboi said:
Actually there are some good flashes around in the buy and sell section. I got mine for $65 from one fellow CSer with TTL. And can be used as slave too! It's verynuseful for night or indoor shots :D

How to check whether it's still good condition or not? What is the thing that we need to check?

How to check whether it's still good condition or not? What is the thing that we need to check?

If possible, bring your camera down to test the flash with your own new set of batteries. Check for the description. Like maybe the seller mentioned slight user marks. But it looks heavily used, then maybe can ask for more discounts :bsmilie: But most of the time, the description is accurate. Most importantly is the function and the things that comes with it.

First, read from the net or reviews of how was the flash and what to expect of it. If it is eTTL flash, then when you go down to meet the seller, attach the flash to your camera and test fire a few times, then see if the flash could 'communicate' with your camera, as in, when you set your exposure (flash exposure), it should also show on the flash itself. Set your camera to aperture priority (Av mode) and see when you attached the flash on your camera, on it, was it recognised by your camera and that the shutter speed is adjusted accordingly (which mean, the speed should be faster).

If you are unsure of how to test the flash properly, it is better to bring someone who know with you... or just go to the shop and get a first hand one... afterall a flash is not really that big of an investment and you get warranty out of it.

get a yn465 will do

First, read from the net or reviews of how was the flash and what to expect of it. If it is eTTL flash, then when you go down to meet the seller, attach the flash to your camera and test fire a few times, then see if the flash could 'communicate' with your camera, as in, when you set your exposure (flash exposure), it should also show on the flash itself. Set your camera to aperture priority (Av mode) and see when you attached the flash on your camera, on it, was it recognised by your camera and that the shutter speed is adjusted accordingly (which mean, the speed should be faster).

If you are unsure of how to test the flash properly, it is better to bring someone who know with you... or just go to the shop and get a first hand one... afterall a flash is not really that big of an investment and you get warranty out of it.

You gonna misled him and thought flash not working. Shutter speed doesn't change with or without flash for Canon Av mode. In Av mode, it meters only for ambient light. ;)