flash during travels

dniwkh

Mar 19, 2012
I used to hate the weight of an extra flash on my travels.

But my next trip is following a tour group so I decided to bring my external flash along. My camera is a D700 and the flash is SB700. I am wondering has anyone crazy enough to experiment with remote flash during travelling, to get side lit, back lit portraits?

I have never met any tourists who actually used remote flash gun...

i believe u wun have much time to explore unless u already know what u doing (as in can set up everything in a jiffy without experimenting a few shots to get it right).

joining tour groups is pretty hectic and rush. sometimes u dun even have time to set your tripod to get your composition right, u are "pushed" to go off to next destination.

things will be different if its F&E... cos u got the time in the world to do whatever you like (like shooting long exposure shots).

so my advise... if u going for tour group... use your brain to photo the place and enjoy the tour else u spent too much time getting the photo and flash right... u got no time to tour around.

I never bring my flash for my trips (although i only do F&E) cos I dun really take photos of myself. I only do landscape and street shots on my tours.

Last edited:
i do! check this out

How is your flash setup? Just one remote flash from the side?

You quite on huh :)

I am thinking of using a flash to get backlit/sidelit

yup jus one on the rightside of subject... camera on tripod self timer flash handheld!

Two words for that photo. Epic Win. *thumbsup

Discussed with my friend on having eqps during trip. Some time we bring so much is to capture the moment n not show off. Time n $, do we have that much to go to same place more than once? Unless u comes from a rich family, else, bring whatever u need, u might miss that moment n u will feels sad. Tired is one thing, but reward yourself with good memories.

came back from my trip.

conclusion is that the flash is not worth the effort. Weighs you down. tedious to set up.

dniwkh said:
came back from my trip.

conclusion is that the flash is not worth the effort. Weighs you down. tedious to set up.

Lol. U dont say